Thursday, September 20, 2012

You really don't want moral relativism to be true

In last day's post I was suggesting that only in a Judeo Christian culture would you even dream of pushing the idea of moral relativism (wrong for you but right for me). Today I want to ask the question why anyone would want it in the first place. I think the answer is clear from those who advocate it. Let me quote from Faye Wattleton's articulate defense of the position. Wattleton, a former President of Planned Parenthood, says “We must resist any attempt by others to sell, push, or otherwise force their own pet values on the rest of us,” and “teaching morality doesn't mean imposing my moral values on others. It means sharing wisdom, giving reasons for believing as I do--and then trusting others to think and judge for themselves.” I want you to trust me to judge for myself, but (and here is the biggie) do you want to trust me to make up my mind for myself? What if I am a member of the pedophile organization NAMBLA (North American man love boy association). If this were me (it's not) would you want to trust me to be alone with your 8 year old son?

Do you want to trust all politicians to do what they think is right? Should we live and let live, refuse to “interfere” and not “push our values” on those in power who are corrupt, or who are wanting to push through legislation that is not to our liking. Should we resist or not resist those who are less well off than we are if they justify taking what belongs to us because in their eyes that is only fair? What I am suggesting is that we may well be for moral relativism when it works to our advantage, but if were adopted wholesale by our culture it would not do that. Moral relativism gives us no rational basis for law and order. Make no mistake about it we are heading more and more in the direction of lawlessness as perpetrators of crime increasingly receive more consideration than their victims.

We can't have it both ways. We cannot demand the freedom to do exactly what we want without giving others the right to do exactly what they want. And this would be alright if we were all trustworthy, but we are not! So do you want moral relativity to be true? Moral relativity if practiced consistently has to lead to anarchy. You do not want to live in a lawless society (as ours is increasingly becoming)! Trust me, you do not really want moral relativism to be true!

No comments:

Post a Comment