Saturday, August 1, 2020

For whatever things were written before

.... were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope (Romans 15:4). Paul has just quoted an Old Testament Scripture (verse 3) to confirm his teaching to let “each of us please his neighbour for his good, leading to edification” (verses 2). The “things written before” then refer to the Old Testament. We do of course need to know how to interpret and understand them, but note that if we neglect the Old Testament, we are missing out on comfort and hope. Talking about peace and comfort in our last fellowship meeting, one of the participants quoted Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.”

A favourite verse concerning hope, is Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
The Amplified translation of Isaiah 40:31 talks about those who wait in hope on the Lord, being strengthened and rising up like eagles. And the waiting part of this, speaks of the patience mentioned in this morning's verse. Coming to the word “ whatever,” Paul elsewhere tells us that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God. So then in addition to the comfort and hope the Scriptures provide, he tells us that they are profitable for teaching (the learning of verse 4), for showing us where we went wrong when we did, for helping us to correct and redeem the wrong, and then how to stay away from it (2 Timothy 3:16, 17).

One of the reasons the verse stood out to me from this morning's readings, (apart from the Holy Spirit drawing my attention to it), is that I needed comfort this morning, and I needed to cling to the hope I have received from Him through the Scriptures. And as I meditated on these things, the Lord spoke to me to not throw away my confidence (Hebrews 10:35), and of a verse that someone mentioned in the last meeting of the fellowship, namely “The LORD will perfect that which concerns me” (Psalm 138:8). And I am strengthened and comforted!

Father, I am reminded again how very, very necessary it is for me to come to You and Your word morning by morning. Thank You Lord that when I do this, it gives You to opportunity to comfort me and to revive hope. It is You who does this Lord, but I do have a part to play, and it is like David that I need to strengthen myself in the Lord (1 Samuel 30:6). Help me to do this Lord as I continue to wait on You, and I will give Your the glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment