Thursday, July 8, 2021

The first day: Then God said, “Let there be light”;

.... and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; He divided light from darkness, and called the light day, and the darkness night (Genesis 1:3-5). We quoted Hugh Ross earlier (The Genesis Question) saying “theory and observation confirm that all planets start with opaque atmospheres.  “Darkness was on the face of the deep” (verse 2) and light (created along with the heavens - verse 1) had not yet penetrate the darkness.  This understanding is consistent with verses 14 to 18 which can be understood as the sun and the moon only then becoming visible from the surface of the earth. In other words at the command “Let there be light,” the atmosphere changed from opaque (no light comes through) to translucent (allows light, but not shapes).  On this first day, however, there was now enough light to distinguish between night (darkness) and day (light verse 4)!

I am told that understanding the present atmosphere of the earth is something of a challenge.  In comparison with other solar systems, it seems that the earth should have a thicker atmosphere than Venus.  As mentioned earlier, Scientist think there was a collision  with the earth of something as large,  or larger than mars. This, they think, impacted the earth ripping away its original atmosphere and producing a thinner one, one that allowed light to penetrate to the surface for the first time (verse 3). From a study of the moon rocks,  we know the moon is younger than the earth, leading researchers to believe the moon was formed by gravity eventually pulling the debris from the collision into the ball we now see. Much of this  is collected in “The Genesis question,” by Hugh Ross, a Canadian Astrophysicist, Christian apologist, and old Earth creationist.

I believe every physical thing has a spiritual analogy. The analogy of good and evil and light and darkness is brought out in Isaiah who warns “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness (Isaiah 5:20).  Christ, the child born, the Son given of Isaiah 9:6,  came to those who walked in great spiritual darkness (verse 2).  God promises if we extend our soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul, then our light shall dawn in the darkness, and our darkness shall be as the noonday (Isaiah  58:10).  He also promises that when I sit in darkness, He will be a light to me (Mica 7:8). He leads me and guides me by the light of His Word, it is a lamp unto my feet  (Psalm 119:105).  Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), and in His light I find light (Psalm 46:9).   C.S. Lewis wrote “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

Lord, I once was blind, but You brought me into Your glorious light, and now I see. I knew You as a child Lord, but because I neither glorified You as God nor was thankful, my foolish heart was darkened. I suppressed the truth in unrighteousness exchanging it for a lie (Romans 1:18-21). But You used the pain of my darkness Lord,  to cause me to be become open to Your light. For that I praise and thank You. Give me grace Lord to continue to walk in the light as You are in the light (1 John 1:7) in Jesus Name Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment