Sunday, January 1, 2012

God forbid that we should loose our sense of mystery

We live in a rational and rationalistic world. They have tried to tell us “Reason is the unique pathway to knowledge.” It's a lie. Do you know love by logic? If the only way you know love is by logic, then you are of all people most miserable. Though love is much more than feeling, if we have never felt loved, if we have never experienced love, we are poor indeed.

We brought in the new year last night singing Christmas Carols, and Christmas songs. One request was for “Mary did you know.” The Lord was breathing on this as we worshiped Him in and through this song. I am getting goose bumps as I think on it, because my thinking on it brought me again into His presence. It happened as I listen to it on the internet and sang it to Him. “Mary did you know that this child that you delivered, will soon deliver you”. How many times have we allowed Christmas to pass us by, and not really enter into the real meaning of it? I was determined this year that I would not do this, so we spent our last two meetings reading, meditating and thinking on the mystery of it all. How does one explain the star" It moves! Stars don't move. This can move you to skepticism, but when you believe it with the eyes of faith it will cause you to wonder. Many, even in the Church have stopped believing in miracles. However when (as I have) you have been used to open the ears of a man who was 80% deaf when, in Jesus name you commanded him to be whole, you know that that is nonsense. So do I believe the “star moved”? Yes. Was it a literal star? I don't know, probably not, but what do I know? With God all things are possible. Was it the Shekinah Glory going before them? Maybe. Whatever it was, clearly the best way to describe it was “star.” I will not allow my puny mind to limit God to my ability to explain Him or what He does!

Though we are to love the Lord with all our mind, we must not worship the mind as if reason and logic is all there is. When we banish mystery from our thinking we impoverish our trinitarian souls. We are body, soul and spirit, not mind, mind and mind. Unless you become as a little child .... My grandson's most often used phrase is “I have a question”. Do we know it all, have we arrived in our theology? Even the secular world knows we can never arrive. To slightly misquote Shakespeare “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your theology”. Its Biblical too for “And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know” (1 Corinthians 8:2).

For me though, the “goosiest” of the phrases (the one that give me the most goose bumps) in 'Mary did you know' is the last two lines:

Did you know that your baby boy was heaven's perfect lamb
This sleeping child you're holding is the great "I AM"

I mean the Creator of the Universe emptying Himself and pouring Himself into a tiny helpless baby? Unfathomable! What I do know however is that God so loved me that He sent His Son for me. He send His Son for you. He is crazy about me, He is crazy about you. This morning I cried out to Him “I want to know you more Lord, I want to experience more of your embrace. Do not leave me as I am, take away from me every hindrance that keeps me from desperation for You. Take me deeper this year Father, deeper into Your heart and Your Kingdom. Please ruin me for anything but Yourself. Give me back my wonder and child likeness in Jesus name".

No comments:

Post a Comment