Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The angst of not being allowed to warn of what we, rightly or wrongly, see as very real danger

There are times when being a Christian who takes Biblical revelation seriously (as in believing it to be true) is very hard. So hard that I can honestly say that if I am wrong in what I believe, I want to be gotten out of it. I will say more in a minute, but I do need to say that if you want to try to dissuade me, it will not be an easy job (British understatement). You see I am very, very convinced, not of every tiny detail (I do not by any means believe I have all the truth), but certainly of the basic essentials outlined, for example, by Inter-Varsity (can be Googled). For me the essentials are sure, some of the denominational distinctives, less so!

To come back to why it is hard, it's not only difficult to behave myself at times (I can resist anything but temptation :) ), but believing what I do about the existence of the afterlife with its two alternative destinations, has been and is unbearable at times. This is especially so, since there is more and more pressure to zip the mouth (or the pen!).

The way I think about this, is of it being Winter, there being slippy roads, and of knowing that down the road there is a bridge, round a sharp bend, that has been washed out. You see loved ones laughing and carrying on in a truck headed in that direction. They are having a whale of time, ignoring your warnings, telling you not only to mind your own business, but getting mad at you for trying to warn them.

We are told that there is a way that seems right to a man (or a woman), but the end thereof is destruction. It's not only the consequences of what we reap in the here and now, but, if is it true that there is a Holy God and we ignore His offer of forgiveness, we will remain unforgiven. Some see this belief in and of itself as self righteous and judgemental, but I have nothing to be either self righteous or judgemental about. The only real difference between me and the unbeliever is that I am forgiven and they (you?) are not. Considering the consequences of being wrong, and our propensity for all of us to be in denial, these things are surely worth investigating with our adult minds. It would lessen my angst, if there was more of it! Would the New Year not be a good time to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment