Sunday, June 21, 2020

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made

....  Marvellous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret,  And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them  (Psalm 139:14-16).  Secular reasoning has tried in vain to explain the wonder of humanity. I remember one mother saying of her newborn,  that she loved him more than evolution required. Mechanistic and or reductionist views give some sort of credence to certain aspects of who we are as a species. However  there is no secular explanation that even begins to explain all and more of  our moral,  social, intellectual, biological, psychological, sociological, relational, volitional and sinful aspects etc., etc. “Fearfully and wonderfully made” is not the half of it!

Our days were fashioned with an individual  purpose and destiny  even before conception. Part of this,  according to the Westminster confession,  is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Part of glorifying God is to receive the free gift of salvation and  to walk in the good works, which God prepared beforehand (Ephesians 2:8-10). We are not puppets however, and God has given us free will.  We mess up from time to time.  This too was known before the foundation of the World. Our great salvation includes the provision of  forgiveness and cleansing when we fess up (1 John1:9). And when we have totality screw up, beyond what we would imagine is redeemable, He fashions us a new destiny as seems good to Him (Jeremiah 18:4). 

I have hesitated to share the exposition that follows, but I would ask you to do a couple of things, firstly to test all things, and to exercise your own judgement about these things. Secondly please see my heart to know there's no condemnation with me, I am in no position to judge anyone (Romans 3:23).  Thirdly I would  also ask you to see that my heart is for those who have messed up in this area, both male and female. And if this is you, please see my heart in the above paragraph,  and a sound exposition of Jeremiah 18:1-4. Having said that we see from verse 16 that the Lord has plans for the unborn, even before  conception.  It's even clearer in Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”  In particular, and with a different emphasis, you are not a mistake, and even if your parents did not want you, you are still precious and valuable in the sight of the Lord, and in fact,  in all those who truly love the Lord!

 Father, I thank You that You knew each and every one of us before we were even conceived. We are not a mistake, we are truly and dearly,  loved. Lord something, or someone's worth,  is the price  someone is willing to pay. And You paid for us with the precious Blood of Jesus (1 Corinthians 6:20; 1 Peter 1:18, 19). That makes us of infinite value. Thank You too Lord for mercy, and that as long as we have breath we have neither gone too far,  nor left it to late to be covered by His blood. And we give You thanks and praise in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment