Monday, June 1, 2020

“If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven

.... if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”  Just before this Jesus had said  “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” He breathed on them and said  “Receive the Holy Spirit.” (John 20:21-23). We who are ambassadors of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20),  who are sent,  and have received the Holy Spirit, we have been given authority (here in verse 23, but also,  for example,  in Luke 10:19). But since we will have to give an account of every idle word (Matthew 12:36),  we should be very careful how we exercise that authority. And in terms of the more controversial commands,  such as here in verse 23, we should do so with fear and trembling (1 Corinthians 2:3; Philippians 2:12).  In particular we need to take the whole council of God (Acts20:27), comparing scripture with Scripture, not base things on a single verse, and  of course asking Holy Spirit!  Having said that,  there are times I would not hesitate to tell someone “You are forgiven!”  If memory serves me, I think I probably already have!

Firstly,  it is helpful to me, to see how the Apostle Peter handled this authority. He told the crowd on the day of Pentecost  “Repent, therefore, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out” (Acts 3:19). So then repentance is required.  Secondly ultimately only God can forgive sins, but He has given us principles in His Word that should give us confidence.  I have mentioned repentance, but then there is also confession “If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins” (1 John 1:9). Under what circumstances then, might I have said “You are forgiven?” Well if someone said to me that they did not see how God could possibly forgive them  for doing something, I would ask them if they have repented,  and if they had confessed their sin. If they had and it seemed to me they were sincere I would, as I said,  have no hesitation in saying “On the authority of God's Word, you are forgiven.

But what about me telling someone “You are not forgiven?”  As hinted about above, the authority we have in this regard is designated authority,  and we had better get it right. But by analogy know that when a lower court makes a declaration,  it can be overruled by a higher authority, and we have a higher authority.  It's also important to note, that it's not only what we say,  but how we say it. So if some Christian, for example, said to me “I will not forgive so and so,  for something,” I might say “Do you realize that Jesus told us that if we do not forgive, neither will He forgive us (Matthew 6:14, 15). So you might want to reconsider that decision!”  We should also note that Jesus said nothing He did not hear the Father saying  (John 5:19; 15:15), and this is where hearing Holy Spirit comes in (John 10:27).

Father,  You call us Your ambassadors Lord. Help us to grow into this and be more like Jesus in that we do,  and  speak,  only what we see and hear from You. And help always us to keep in mind, especially in this passage that Your mission is about the reconciliation of the World. And let us serve You in this way with joy Father, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment