Sunday, October 25, 2020

Do you see a man wise in his own eyes?

.... There is more hope for a fool than for him (Proverbs 26:12). The  ancient philosopher Socrates seeking to deny he was the wisest man in the world, compared himself with others said to be wise and  famously said “I am wiser than this man, for at least I know that I know nothing.”  They on the other hand were wise in their own eyes.  Scripture tells us “if anyone thinks that he knows something, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know,” and “Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies” (1 Corinthians 8:1, 2). “Puffs up”  means to be inflated with pride and vanity. So is the one who fancies himself to be wise (or herself we would not want to leave the ladies out)!

Wisdom and knowledge are not the same thing, though there is a tendency to confuse the two. Knowledge is primarily information, wheres wisdom is the ability to make correct judgments and decisions. Wisdom is wise use of knowledge. The source of knowledge is education, reason and logical thought. The primary source of wisdom is the fear of the Lord (Proverbs 9:10).  David could say “Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies” (Psalm 119:98). The characteristics of a fool are that he lacks  and even despises wisdom and discipline. Wisdom is in fact beyond his grasp. He mocks guilt and is quarrelsome.  It is folly to seek to instruct him (Prov. 1:7; 15:5;  24:7; 20:3; 16:22). In light of this, this morning proverb is startling. There is more hope for a fool than one who is wise in his own eyes. Such is the nature of pride!

I remember in my pre-conversion days getting angry at being told that pride was a sin. I told the speaker that he was naive, but I was  was the naive one. And why was I angry? It was because I was full of it.  Pride comes before the fall  (Proverbs 16:18). What this means,  is that we may think we are too smart to get tripped up, or get caught for what we have done, or that we can get away with things. When we feel that way we are likely too smart for our own good. I know I fell, and fell hard. But it was reaching my bottom that lead me to consider,  and eventually embrace salvation.  We were looking the other day at Psalm 90:12 “ teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom (Psalm 90:12).  This verse,  and the one that speaks about the fear of the Lord should remind us that “nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”  (Hebrews 4:13).

Father, I want to thank You this morning that there are times when You give us over to our pride,  stubbornness and sin (Romans 1:24, 26, 28). You do it Lord out of a heart of mercy to bring us, like the prodigal son,  to the end of ourselves, and into our right mind (Luke 15:17).  Give us the grace Lord to stay low and to humble ourselves before Your mighty hand.  It may be painful to do this Lord, but it is better than being humbled.  And You have promised that when we humble ourselves You will, at the right time,  lift us up (1 Peter 5:6). We  give You glory Lord in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment