Saturday, December 12, 2020

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,

.... Like a weaned child with his mother.  A man’s pride will bring him low, But the humble in spirit will retain honour. (Psalm 131:2;  Proverbs 29:23). This Psalm and the Proverb in this morning's daily readings go together well.  The Psalm opens with “LORD, my heart is not haughty ... neither do I concern myself with things over my head.” A child,  in the process of being weaned from the breast, is likely to throw temper tantrums, and in his or her own way  demand, demand, demand. In the process of weaning the child, the mother is teaching the child the first instalment in life's lesson that we cannot always get what we want. It's a hard lesson!  And it's only learnt as the child himself decides to let go of his “rights,” and face reality.  Some of us never fully learn this lesson!

When the mother is wise and loving, and she does this gently but firmly,  compensating the child with hugs and kisses and gentle rocking,  the child will eventually let go and nestle contentedly in his mothers arms  “like a weaned child with his mother.”  The process of  calming and quieting our soul is also like this. Note that both the child and the mother have a role to play. And as in the weaning of the, the child's  is largely surrender,  so it is with us in surrender to the nurturing embrace of the God of all comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3). And this will not happen when we cling to our pride demanding our rights, or recognition, or position or title or authority. These are the very same things encouraged by the world, and “whoever exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted (Matthew 23:12)!  

Humility is neither thinking more, nor less of ourselves than is the case.  There is a valid pride and a toxic pride, and there is a valid humility and a false humility. Taking pride in our work is to do it contentiously,  as unto the Lord. Toxic pride is to boast of ones accomplishments. Paul asks “What do you have that you were not given, and if it were given you, why do you boast as though it were not” (1 Corinthians 4:7)?  On the other hand we can take that too far. False humility refuses to take credit where it is due. “It was Jesus.” I like what Bill Johnson said to the woman who insisted that it was Jesus who was singing through her. He said “It wasn't that good!”

Father, Paul council us to not think more highly of ourselves than we ought but rather think of yourself with realistic  judgment, in accordance with the faith You have  given us. And in faith Lord I believe my life has meaning and significance, and that I am dearly loved and valued. My value Lord is in what You paid for me, the death of the Lord Jesus.  And that is of infinite value.  Help me this morning Lord to have the balance in these things,  so I can do my part in quieting my soul and lean with Paul, to be content in whatever state I find myself (Philippians 4:11). Help me to humble myself so that You may exalt me in due time in Jesus Name Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment