Thursday, August 5, 2021

Dust in the image of God

The Hebrew phrase “Elleh Toledot,” that occurs in Genesis 2:4; 5:1; 6:9; 11:10 etc,  is a literary device that divides Genesis into “books” (see Genesis 5:1). It's translated consistently in some versions (i.e.. KJV, ESV) as “the generations of,” and the phrase acts as bookends to these divisions. In Genesis 1:1-2:3,  mankind is the pinnacle of creation,  in 2:4-4:26 mankind is the focus. This second “book” starts with a more detailed description of the creation of “adam” (mankind),  a plural word including both male and female. We also see the movement from the “very good” of 1:31,  to our present state. Starting with disobedience, the seeds of the aggressive cancer of sin (3:6),  it progresses quickly to the first murder (4:8), then onto the boastful genocidal attitude of the seventy–sevenfold vengeance of Lamech (4:24).  Today we are looking at “the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground” (2:7), it brings balance to  our being made in the image of God (1:26).

There are many things in Biblical teachings,  that need to be held together in tension, not 'either or,' but 'both and.'  Truth out of balance is error! Here we are made in the image of God (1:26), but we are not God, we are dust. At the  start of what is considered to be the most profound teaching ever given, Jesus tells us “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). It's about humility.  Humility is about thinking neither more, nor less, of ourselves than reality. There is a lot of false humility,    and there is a lot of pride both inside,  and outside,  the church.  When we become as little children,  knowing we are flawed (James 3:2), yet loved and fully accepted (Ephesians 1:6; John 3:16) then, as Jesus said,  the Kingdom is ours.  

Do you ever beat yourself up for what you think you are, or for what have done (I'm a worm, I'm a looser, I'm a piece of s...)?  You are forgetting that you are made in the image of God, forgetting that Jesus died for your sins. “He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust” (Psalm 103:14), and He invites us to return to Him for He will abundantly pardon and restore us to fellowship with Him (Isaiah 55:7).

Have you ever been tempted to think “nobody is going to tell me what to do, not even God?”  We have forgotten we are but dust, creatures before our creator. We are dependent on God for our very breath.  But we do have to do our part. The famous quote “I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul” from the  poem ‘Invictus’ sought,  I think, to address the imbalance of our avoiding responsibility. Taken to the other extreme however, it can lead to the wrong sort of pride,  Paul describes this as being puffed up. We have forgotten that “there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account” (Hebrews 4:13).  

Father,  I like the prayer that asks please don't give me too much so that I may disown You and forget You. Nor let me become poor and steal, and so dishonour Your Name (Proverbs 30:9). Let me think neither to highly of myself,  nor too lowly (Romans 12:3). I am Your valued, beloved,  precious creature Lord, I am nevertheless a creature! I love You Lord in Jesus Name Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment