Saturday, May 22, 2021

Fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)

I was talking to a friend the other day, and I was saying that I am just beginning to realize how unique I am. My friend replied that we are all relatively unique. I told him take out the word “relatively.” In other words we are all unique, you are unique, I am unique. We are fearfully and wonderfully made!  One of the videos that was posted on a feed I am following,  sings about you and me being God's masterpiece. Praise God, I am God's masterpiece!  Hallelujah!  Now that may not be the way you see me, but it is the way God sees me. And, well nothing personal, but I will take his opinion over yours any day. It's not always easy to live this way, for me for a long time it was impossible!

You know humility is not about denying the gifts and the talents that God has given us.  Certainly we are not to think more highly of ourselves than we aught.  But look,  I am God's child, I am God's handwork, I am God's garden, and God don't make no junk! I love what Bill Johnson said to the worship leader who,  when praised,   said “It's not me,  it's Jesus.” Bill replied “It wasn't that good!” I don't think that actually happened, Bill is far too gracious for such a putdown. What I am saying though, is that while we must not think too highly of ourselves,  neither must we think of ourselves as worms – as one hymn would have us think (such a worm as I)!

A beautiful sister in the Lord just posted on a feed I am following “Praise God He created me like His image.” She is fearfully and wonderfully made, and so are you. So let's stop beating ourselves up. You would not (or perhaps I should say should not)  speak to others the way we sometimes speak to ourselves. On the other hand, too often we despise the flaws we see in others precisely because they are also ours,  and we are essentially engaging in self hate. It is probably more common than  we could imagine.  

Father, please help us to neither think too highly, nor too lowly of ourselves.  It's hard at times Lord,  when somebody puts us down. You don't expect us to put up with abuse, but when we react badly to such things it is likely that we have not learned to care more about what You say about us, than what others say. And You know we are wonderfully and fearfully made, for You made us! Help us with this Lord,  and we will give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment