Wednesday, November 29, 2017

unless a seed die it abides alone

Have you ever wished you could make choices for others? I mean you see others making poor choices all the time, and it’s perfectly obvious to you, that the choices that they are making are destructive to themselves and others. On the other hand there are bright lights. I’m thinking of someone who told me not long ago “I did not realize how selfish I was until I got married!”

I happen to know that both parties in this marriage feel the same way, and there is much hope for this marriage! One way to describe what is happening in this marriage is to say that both parties are dying to their self-centredness. And the heart of the matter, is that at heart most of us are stubborn, self-centred and self-willed. We want what we want, and we want it now! It’s all about my rights, my goals, or in the words of a famous Beatles song “I, me, mine!”

The Scripture says, that we reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7). In other words if we make good choices there is good fruit, but if we make bad choices bad things come of it. And more often than not, the fruit of these bad choices is loneliness and isolation, we abide alone!

The quote at the head of this post from John 12: 24 continues with “but if it dies, it produces much fruit.” In context Jesus is talking about His coming crucifixion. It’s important to know this, because God never calls us to do something that he himself has not done, but in far greater measure.

This morning as I contemplate what to say at a memorial service for a friend of mine, I am very aware of two things. The first is how incredibly wounded she was, and the second is how in spite of this she was able to allow God to love many, many others through her. And my thoughts this morning centred around how to the extent that we are willing to let the Lord put to death the deeds and desires of our sinful nature, is the extent to which we are able to love others as channels of His love.

Father, I choose this morning to cooperate with You by Your spirit to put to death the deeds and the desires of the flesh (Romans 8:13). I know that we do not die easily to our selfishness. I do not! But Lord, I do desire that my life would produce much fruit for Your kingdom, and for Your glory In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment