Sunday, July 26, 2020

May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble;

.... May the name of the God of Jacob defend you (Psalm 20:1).  Job could declare “Man .... is of few days,  and full of trouble” (Job 14:1).  Jesus warned His disciples “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33b). He had just told them He was about to leave the world and go to the Father, and that they, His disciples,  would be scattered (28, 32). He says “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace” (33a). We  cannot escape troubles, but as those who know and love the Lord,  we can choose to tap into His resources to deal with them in a such way that we can appropriate His peace.  It's not automatic!

In keeping with Hebrew thought, asking that the Name of God would protect you, is the same as asking God to protect you.  But asking in the Name of the God of Jacob (rather than Israel), is interesting. In the context of troubles, it recalls the incident when God changed Jacob's name. “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed” (Genesis 32:28).  Jacob had stolen both Esau's birthright and his blessing  (Genesis 25,  27). Esau had threatened to kill him,  and Jacob had fled.  And now years later,  Jacob is returning and learns that Esau is coming to meet him and his family, with four hundred armed men  (Chapter 32).  This was a defining moment for Jacob. Likewise our troubles, our crises, our “days” of intense difficulties, are defining moments for us. They are also crossroads.

There are times when, in my mind's eye, I am standing before God,   He has His arms about me, and I am pummeling His chest with my fists. At such times I am wrestling with God. There are also times when I am suckling on the hairy teat of God. In the first picture I am wrestling though to peace, in the second, I am drinking in His comfort! Some people have wondered how I kept faith at such times, but I'm far too weak in my own strength,  to isolate myself from the source of all peace and comfort.  And the Lord would rather we came to Him with railing accusations,  than to stay away, even if like Jacob, we are essentially reaping what we sow. At lest when we come to Him, He has the chance to answer, to calm us, and to forgive and cleanse us where necessary. Jesus warned  His disciples of trouble,  so that they would know what to do. We go to Him, so that in Him we have peace. It's His peace, it's a gift (John 14:27).

Father, the word translated “deliver” in this morning's verse literally means “to set on high,” as in a hight tower or fortress. Indeed we are seated with You in heavenly places. Lord in Your strength we will not fear those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul (Matthew 10:28).  Our lives are in Your hands Father, but there are times we need to wrestle with You in prayer,  and with Jacob to declare “I will not let You go until you bless me” (Genesis 32:26). Please give us the faith and the tenacity to do this Lord,  and we will give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment