Thursday, July 16, 2020

The words of the LORD are pure words

....  As silver tried in a crucible on the earth, refined seven times (Psalm 12:6).  King David had cried out to the Lord for help. He was distressed that “the godly man ceases .... the faithful disappear,”  and “they speak idly everyone with his neighbour; With flattering lips and a double heart they speak” (verses 1, 2).  A king, David would have received many flattering words from those who were seeking favour from him. We lesser mortals may also receive flattering words, but are more likely to receive the opposite, insults,  put downs and the like. But in any case we can likely identify with the widespread phenomenon of double heartedness, saying one thing and meaning another.  Another form of speech that David decries are the proud boastful and rebellious words of his contemporaries (verses 3, 4).  Not much has changed over three thousand years!

By contrast, the Words and promises of the Lord are “yes and amen” (2 Corinthians 2:20).  His words are pure, with Him there is no  shadow of turning, He is not a man that He should lie (James 1:17; Numbers 23:19).  David gives us a picture of something here on earth that will describe the indescribable, the level of purity and reliability of God's Words.  It's “silver refined in a furness seven times.”  In its natural state,  silver contains dross, impurities. It's purified in the refining process by heating it in a furnace. In this process the dross rises to the top and can be skimmed off. To do this seven times is likely overkill, but the number seven speaks of perfection, indicating that there is nothing on earth purer than silver refined seven times. Thus are the words of God!

So what does it mean that the promises of God are yes and Amen? As I have mentioned before, I ask the Lord for something morning by morning for myself and for others. There has been heavy rain over the past two days, and the river where I take my daily walk went from being the lowest I have ever seen it, to the highest I have ever seen. And as I went down there this morning, the Lord whispered to me “The blind shall see, the deaf shall hear, the tongue of the dumb shall sing and the lame will leap like a heart,  because waters shall burst forth” (Isaiah 35:5, 6). Water of course speaks of the Holy Spirit, and  it has been my prayer for many many years  that the Lord would do these things in my relationships, but also in revival.  There have been many prophecies over St John's,  and I am sensing that the time is near in this year 2020.

Father, I thank You this morning that by Your grace I have been able to not throw my confidence away. I pray into the above Isaiah  promise this morning Lord,  starting by asking for 20/20 vision for myself, for all those I have been praying for, for the church, and for all who will come in, through the coming revival, be it in St John's, in Newfoundland, in Canada and the World. Lord let Canada indeed be for the healing of the nations. And once again Lord start with me and all those reading this blog, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment