Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Enter the serpent stage left

“Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made” (Genesis 3:1). If we get hung up on whether the serpent is literal or allegorical,  we will miss the drama here. The stage is set, what was created was very good (1:31). Adam and Eve in paradise were given just one prohibition – don't eat from the one tree (2:16). Well you know what's going to happen. And part of the drama is that Eve in her innocence, is sure she's okay.

Whatever your understanding of this passage,  the Bible makes it clear that he's very real this “great dragon, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan,  who deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:9). He is the ultimate source of evil,  and his just end is sure (20:10). C.S. Lewis says “There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and un-healthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors.”  My African brothers and sisters have absolutely no doubt he's real, they have seen his power. They also know the believer has been given authority over him and his devils (Luke 10:19).

When we are not aware of his schemes, he has a field day planting thoughts into our hearts and minds. I think it likely that most of our negative self talk originates with him. He speaks in the first person “I am a looser,” causing us the think that such thoughts are our own. Have you ever been glad that others are not mind readers, because if anyone knew some of your thoughts, you would die? I have learned to disown such thoughts, take them captive, and cast them out (2 Corinthians 10:5)!  The problem of course, is that thoughts so often lead to action, bitter thoughts for example,  leading to getting even.  

Paul Tournier has suggested that the human heart is full of contradictions, that it never grasp more than a part of the truth, and that part of the truth is then generalized as if it were absolute. We are at the same time full of doubt and uncertainty,  while also being fully   convinced that we are right,  and everybody else wrong! I was first aware of this in others, then the Lord showed it to me, in me. I mean what were the chances that I alone among humans had escaped  self deception (one in seven billion?). They say the most common form of denial,  is the denial that I'm in denial. The Bible puts it this way “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it”  (Jeremiah 17:9)?

Father, I am remembering this morning the time I had murder in my heart. What is scary Lord is that even now I'm not at all sure I would not have followed through if I thought I could have gotten away with it! Then You showed me that I was far from innocent in that relationship. I had allowed the deceiver to deceived me big time. And I realize now Lord,  that that realization simply scratched the surface of the depth of deception of my heart, for “Who can know it?” We see it in others Lord, help us to see it in ourselves,  and so to flee to You for refuge and be saved,  and changed (Hebrews 6:18; Romans 12:2) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment