Friday, November 19, 2021

You will be like God

As I was meditating on this phrase from the story of the Serpent beguiling Eve (Genesis 3:1-5), William Ernest Henley's poem Invictus, came to mind.  The last line reads “I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.”  Being made in God's image (Genesis 1:26),  mankind has enormous gifts and potential, and what we have achieved is nothing less than spectacular. Most of us fail to reach our God given potential however, and if the poem encourages you to do your very, very best, I can only say “go for it – seize the day!”  But actually being God like in that I am in control of my fate?  You have to be kidding!

Quite apart from the more obvious things that affect us, like the weather, or the tides (shades of King Canute), there's a lot of other things over which we have little, or no,  control.  Johny Baker (“Life's Healing Choices”), lists several areas where we try to exercise control, and at various levels fail (unless you are in denial!).  We try to control what other people think about us,  by both limiting what we allow them to see, and by wearing masks to cover our weaknesses and hidden addictions. We try to control other people through manipulation, anger, or punishing silences, and we reap shallowness of relationships as a result. We try to control our behaviour and our problems. But with Paul we do what we don't want to do, and don't do what we want to do (Romans 7:19). We try to control our pain, especially our emotional pain. We medicate it, run from it, deny it, try to postpone it.  No we are not in control, and it's really very scary!

Pride was the Devil's sin.  He said “I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:14). It is also ours! I got angry years ago, when told that pride was a sin. I wonder why! I was full of pride,  I was full of, well lots of things! It wasn't the kind of pride that gives us satisfaction of a job well done. It was the kind that expresses itself as “Nobody is going to tell me what to do, not you, not the Law, not even God!”

It was trying to play God!  But that can also come out of seemingly good motives. I want to help people, I want to help them change their toxic behaviour. I learned the hard way that the only person I have the possibility to change is me, and that most people don't want advice. I have had to resign as the caretaker of the universe on a number of occasions! I am not God, I have limits, and when I try to live as if I do not, I am in essence playing God.  I also found out that I can actually do a lot more when I surrender,  day by day,  moment by moment,  to His will and leading.  I also found that this is what satisfies me, brings peace, hope and meaning to life. Who knew that His way would be best?

Father,  please forgive us for all the ways we try to pay God. Thank You for forgiveness and cleansing. Please show us any area that still needs to be surrendered to You,  and brought under your Lordship. Thank You Lord,  that You who began this good work in us, will keep right on doing it until that day we see You face to face (Philippians 1:6) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment