Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children (Part 1)

I think that it was in my mid-50s, that I first began to correctly understand this verse from Exodus 20:5. The context is the expanded version of first of the 10 Commandments “You shall have no other gods before Me” (verse 3). Other translations have “I punish the children for the father’s sins” (i.e. NIV). The Hebrew is ambiguous, and both translations are logically possible. However this alternative translation would contradict Ezekiel 18:20 which says “The child will not be punished for the parent's sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child's sins” (NLT). So then "visiting" is to be preferred to "punish." But what does this “visiting,” mean?

Let me start by saying that mum and dad likely represent our first view of God. I konw that for the longest time while I knew that God loved me, He was nevertheless distant, and didn’t seem to have time for me. But this was exactly the way I felt about my father. I remember one man remarking that it took him 40 years to wipe the face of his father off the face of God. And part of what this morning’s verse is saying, is that if we hold on to these inadequate views of Him, it is nothing less than idolatry. God is jealous, zealous for us to have the correct view of who He is (see next day)!

In the prison ministry in which I am involved, I hear stories over and over of abusive fathers. And if your abusive father represents your view of God, then no wonder you reject Him. But such views are false views, and need to be corrected. Jesus told us that if we want to know what the Father is like, all we have to do is to look at Him (John 14:7-9). And we see that He is merciful, gracious and full of compassion in the story of the woman taken in adultery (John 8:1-11). He does not condemn her, but tells her “Go and sin no more.” He wants to deal the very same with us. In fact "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). It is a verse I have need over and over, especially when I have failed him!

Father, forgive us, forgive me, for believing warped and twisted false view of who You are. Thank You that I now know that You are not distant, not at all. But it is my sin, even sin that I’m not aware of, that at times keeps me from a deeper relationship with You. Thank You that as I continue to walk in the light, and as You expose what hinders, then the blood of Your Son Jesus Christ keeps on cleansing me from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:7). And I am then able to draw near to You. And when I do, then You draw near to me (James 4:8). And I give You all the honour and glory and praise again this morning, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment