Sunday, January 3, 2021

In the beginning God - Elohim

The Bible is God's revelation of Himself to Adam (mankind), and of necessity speaks in terms man can understand. We live in space and time and tend to see things in these terms. As already mentioned Science has somewhat reluctantly come to the conclusion there was a beginning. And inquiring minds want to know what came before.  The phrase  “In the beginning God” has the implication that in the beginning God already was. In case you think I am reading too much into this,  we need to realize that revelation is often progressive. Speaking later, the Greek of John 1:1 allows for the following translation “In the beginning the Word already was, and the Word was already with God, and the Word already was  God.” The Word of course is Jesus, so of course Jesus is God. He is also the Lamb of God,  and was slain “before the foundation of the world” (John 1:29; Revelation 13:8). From such scriptures we conclude that God lives outside of space and time.

Skeptics thinking to undermine faith ask “If God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1), who made God?” The answer of course it that nobody made God, God always was. But where do we get this from?  The shadowy figure of the priest Melchizedek provides the answer. He is called the King of Salem, and we read about him first in Genesis 14:18. The writer to the Hebrews tells that his name means King of righteousness,  and King of peace;  that his priesthood is a picture of Jesus'  priesthood,  and  that He is “without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life,” (Hebrews 7:1-3).  All this of course speaks of Trinity, but we're not going there this morning, except to say from this that He (they) are eternal.

Twelve step programs speak of “God as we understand him” (step 3).   Certainly nobody fully understands God, for if we fully understood God we would be Him! But if He exists, and I believe He does, I need to let Him be who He is, not as I might want Him to be. And since revelation is progressive, my understanding of Him needs to progress as I grow in Him. The Names of God are a fascinating study, for in Hebrew thought names reveal who the person is. In the first of the revelations of His many names He is called Elohim here in Genesis 1:1.  Interestingly Elohim is plural, and can refer to any so called god or gods. Wikipedia says “despite the -im ending common to many plural nouns in Hebrew, the word Elohim when referring to God is grammatically singular, and takes a singular verb in the Hebrew Bible.” In the ten commandments “Elohim spoke saying I am Yhwh .... you shall have no other elohim before me” (Exodus 20:1, 2).  

Father, I most often address You this way, because I have needed Your Fatherhood the most. Even as a Christian I was such an orphan for such a long time,  and operated dysfunctionally out of an orphan spirit. Thank You Your Spirit now testifies to my spirit that I am Your child. Forgive me Lord when I  made You in the image of what I would like You to be. You are far more wonderful than I could think or imagine,  and I ask You to continue to fascinate me with Yourself, and to draw me ever deeper into Your extravagant healing love. I give You glory in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment