Friday, February 24, 2023

Dust in the image of God: Creatures before our Creator

“This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created” (Genesis 2:4). The verse introduces the second creation account. The first (Genesis 1:1-2:3), gives the big picture, starting with the creation of the heavens and the earth, and culminating in mankind (both male and female), as its crowing glory, being in the unique and privileged position of image bearers of the creator Himself (1:27)! This second account is before the fall. The main focus is mankind, his place in the garden, and his relationship with God and others.

Many times Biblical truths need to be held together in tension. In such cases it's not 'either or,' but 'both and.' Truth out of balance is error! Here, we need to hold in tension that we are image bearers and, as Genesis 2:7 puts it, we are formed from the dust of the ground. Earlier, we merely scratched the surface of what it means to be image bearers with all its advantages and privileges. But we need to keep in mind that while we are image bearers we are not God, we are dust! The appropriate response is humility! True humility is about thinking neither more, nor less, of ourselves than what God says of us. Jesus tells that the poor in spirit are blessed (Matthew 5:3). Being poor in spirit is about becoming as little children, so we can enter into relationship with the Creator (Matthew 18:3; Micah 6:8). Isaiah tells that the ox knows its master, but Israel does not (Isaiah 1:3). So it is with many of us!

In case you hadn't noticed, humility is not a widespread virtue in our culture! Have you ever said (or thought) “nobody is going to tell me what to do, not even God?” You have forgotten you are but dust, a creature before the Creator. We are dependent on God for our very breath! The famous quote “I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul” from the poem ‘Invictus’ sought, I think, to spur us on to greatness. However, it can lead to being puffed up with pride (1 Corinthians 8:1). The entrance of pride came with the fall. It was Satan's primary sin (Isaiah 14:14), and like all sin, it separates us from God (Isaiah 59:2)!

But there is also false humility, which takes “pride” in being nothing. It is in many of our hymns ('such a worm as I,' 'my own worthlessness'). Do you beat yourself up for who you think you are, or for what you did (I'm a worm, I'm a looser, I'm a piece of ...)? You are forgetting that you are made in God's image, forgetting Jesus died for your sins (Galatians 2:20). The most depraved of us, is an image bearer for whom Christ died. And when we repent, He abundantly pardons, and restores our fellowship with Himself (Isaiah 55:7; 1 John 1:9). We are not insignificant, we are beloved children, we are co-labourers together with Him (1 John 3:1; 1 Corinthians 3:9). There is a lot of both pride, and false humility, out there!

Father, please do not give me too much so that I forget You. Neither let me become poor so that I steal, and dishonour You (Proverbs 30:8, 9). Let me think neither too highly of myself, nor too lowly (Romans 12:3). I am Your valued, beloved, precious son. I am nevertheless a creature made from dust! I love You Lord in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment