Sunday, November 18, 2018

Forgetting those things which are behind, I press in towards the goal

For the longest time I used to wonder what Christians meant when they talked about pressing in. It is Biblical as we see in this quote from Philippians 3:13,14. It is helpful to understand the context of what Paul was talking about in in these verses. In particular the phrase “Forgetting those things which are behind” is important. For example, in seeking to win our loved ones for the Lord, we may have blown it in the past. We may have nagged them to death, we may have done things or said things which we now regret. But the wonderful thing about being a Christian, is that we have a redemptive God, and when we turn from our sin, He will redeem (make up for) our mistakes.

In some ways, my thoughts this morning continue last days thoughts, where we were talking about not losing our confidence. And I am feeling this morning that I need to press in to the promises that the Lord has given in His Word. For example He promises “I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring” (Isaiah 44:3b). Promises needs to be claimed! For the longest time, I used to let my promises just sit there, thinking “Well if God has promised, it will happen." But then why does He tell us in His Word “We do not have because we do not ask" (James 4:2)? Jesus speaks of the need to keep on knocking (Matthew 7:7). It was because she kept pressing in, that the unjust judge finally gave in to the windows pleas (Luke 18:1- 8).

And this morning there is something rising up within my spirit to lay hold of my promises, and to do this in the same way the world would contend and fight for a contended earthly inheritance. In particular I come before Him to intercede for my loved ones, I press in, being determined to not let go until He gives me the assurance that He will do what he says He will do. I tell Him “You are not a man that You should lie, and I bring this one and that one before You, for their freedom, for salvation, for healing, for restoration of relationships. And I will not let You go until You bless me.”

Father, thank You for your promise that if we refuse to be weary in well doing, to press into our promises, to continually go forth weeping and sowing seeds, then we shall surely reap what we are sowing (Psalm 126:6; 1 Corinthians 15:58). And as we do this Lord, I know full well that You are working a work in me, in which when I press in to You, You press in to me. And in this way the journey is every bit as important as the goals and the answers You have promised. Thank You Lord, thank You Lord, thank You Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment