Sunday, April 7, 2019

I don't do the good I want to do, but instead do the evil that I don't want to do

I remember an alcoholic friend of my telling me that he did not understand the Bible all that well, but he understood this verse! It was exactly what he did! To put this another way it is not that I fail to live up to other people’s morality, I don’t even live up to my own! This morning quote is from Romans 7:15, and is essentially saying the very same thing. Paul (the author) says of this disconnect “With the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the sinful nature the law of sin” (verse 25). And if we are honest with ourselves, this has the ring of truth in our own lives. For example, I don’t want to overeat at buffets, but far too often I do. In fact I just did this twice this weekend at a retreat I am at.

Paul cries out in desperation about this “Who shall deliver me from this body of death” (verse 24). He answers his own question “I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord (verse 25), and states the amazing truth that “There is therefore now, no condemnation in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). It seems to me this is one of those places where it would be better if the chapter division was not at this point, since the two thoughts are so clearly connected. Paul, in the previous chapters has been building a powerful case for this truth. In Chapter 5 he tells that we are justified, declared righteous before the bar of God, by our faith. Furthermore being justified we have peace with God. We are dead to sin (Chapter 6) and therefore free from the law (chapter 7). In this way we are set free to serve God with our whole heart without fear that we will not measure up, never be good enough.

But did Paul ever escape the battle he was describing in this morning quote? I have the sense that he is not describing a single battle (for we are more than conquerors). When he says in Ephesians 6:12 that we do no wrestle against flesh and blood, the verb is in the present tense. You may have noticed that when you get victory over this or that, sooner or later the Lord reveals something else. In recovery we speak of this as onion skins, there is layer after layer. So there are always new battles to win, new territory to take. In other words the war in ongoing. But Paul now tells us in chapter 8 how to walk in victory and to be more than conquerors. What needs to happen is that we need by the Spirit to put to death the deeds of the sinful nature (verse 13), and to set our minds on the things above.

Father, I want to thank You this morning Lord that it is not all up to us. It is by Your Spirit what we put to death the deeds of the sinful nature. And the more we die to self, the more we are alive to you (Romans 6:13). But when we do our part, You surly do Yours. In fact when we fully submit to You, You not only give us the wherewithal to do Your will, You work in our emotions, our desires (Philippians 2:12,13). And I praise and bless You for again for all these things Lord in Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment