Monday, April 15, 2019

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, the glory of kings to search it out (I)

One of the purposes education has, or at least should have, is to instill a love of learning. It's not really happening. By the time I was eleven, I failed the exam that separated the intellectual sheep from the goats. And at the end of the first year at the new school, I came bottom of the class. They kept me down, and mother marched me into the head mistress office and asked that if I came top of the class at Christmas would they put me back up. They patted me on the head and said “Of course,” knowing it was not going to happen. But now I was motivated. I hated school and this would have meant an extra year. Long story short, I did come top at Christmas, and I finished my career as a full professor of Mathematics with over sixty original publications to my name! You don’t get there without a love of learning!

Why I am telling you this? Well I believe that we have largely done the same with God, in that the way we have taught about God has essentially inoculated us against Him. It used to be said that theology was the queen of Science, and the basis of all true knowledge, no longer! Now no matter what you think about Israel, you have to wonder why it is called the start up nation with more innovation, and more Noble prizes per capita, that any other nation. The Scripture gives us clues “I have more wisdom that all of my teachers because Your Word is my meditation,” and the one who meditates day and night on the Word will prosper in whatever he does (Psalm 119:99; 1:3). So what went wrong? Firstly many have been taught falsely, that God is all about rules and regulations. Secondly as important at true knowledge about God is, there is nothing more important than knowing Him as a person. This morning I want to say some things that that are true about Him.

There is an interesting phrase from Einstein that fits in with this mornings verse from Proverbs 25:2. It is “The Lord is subtle but He is not mean.” He conceals Himself in light (Psalm 104:2), but He has left many clues. “The invisible things from Him are clearly seen by the things that are made” (Romans 1:20). For example a beginning (of space and time) requires that someone or something set it in motion. In my mind, Science clearly points to God. And it is only because “The god of this world has blinded the mind of those who don’t believe” (2 Corinthians 4:4) that some think Science disproves Him. It seems to me though, that true knowledge of God and knowing God are linked. And God conceals things at least partially because we will be held accountable in proportion to the knowledge we have. But the deeper reason is that as the lover He is, He wants to fascinate us with Himself in order that we would pursue Him.

Father, some of the thoughts I am having this morning, is that the DNA of a fruit tree is in the tree itself. So when we say that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22, 23), we are really describing Your character. Who of us, who truly knew this, would not want to know You? I believe Lord that many times it is the lies we have been told and believed, that keep us from You, and/or from a deeper relationship with You. So help us this morning Father as Kings and Queens (Revelation 1:6) to diligently seek You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment