Sunday, April 14, 2019

You have Words of life

Large numbers of the crowd had been offended. And the Scripture tells us “From this time many of His disciples turned back and no longer followed Him.” Jesus then asks the twelve “Do you want to go away too?” Peter answered him “Lord, to whom will we go? You have Words of eternal life” (John 6:66-68). It’s pretty clear that Jesus had deliberately spoken things He knew that neither the crowd nor the twelve would understand. He had told them “Most assuredly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you” (verse 53). Post-resurrection, and with His later teaching and the teachings of the apostles, we understand this well. But at the time there was no chance!

So why did He do it? Well, “You can please all of the people some of the time!" What I am saying, is that everyone will find some part of Christianity attractive. It is likely different for different folks, but each individual will find some part that will appeal to them. Jesus however, does not want us to pick and choose what we believe, what we accept, what we obey. He doesn’t want just part of our allegiance, He wants it all “You shall have no other gods before me” (Exodus 20:3). He is either Lord of all, or he is not Lord at all! It’s interesting to me, that it was many of His disciples that were offended (verse 66). Well, I regard myself as one of His disciples, and as I meditate on these things this morning, I feel I am being asked “Do some things offend you” and “will I go away too” (verses 61, 67)?

There are reasons I feel He is asking me these things this morning. I am encountering many who name His name, who are allowing themselves to be offended. And the fact of the matter is, that there is so much to be offended about. I can be offended about what other people say or do, I can be offended about what He allows, I can be offended when He doesn’t answer my prayers the way I want Him to. But with Peter, I know there is no one else to whom I can go. And with Peter I know that He has Words (rhama) of eternal life. And I know that when I am vitally connected to Him and Hearing His voice, then I am truly alive. And I know that allowing myself to be offended is death. Do I understand all that He allows, do I have answers to all my many questions? Well no, but I guess that’s part of living by faith!

Father, thank You that You have answered, and continue to answer many of my questions. Thank You that You delight in my asking them, it is part of my pursuing You, our fascinating God! Will I ever fully understand You, or all that You allow? Probably not, even in eternity! And I don’t even think that I want that. I am sure You will keep us fascinated there. But I want to ask You thing morning Father to keep us fascinated with You in the here and now, keep us asking, and please give us enough answers so we don’t get discouraged. Keep us pursuing You our beautiful, amazing, fascinating God. And I give You praise and glory again this morning Lord, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment