Monday, June 17, 2019

But David strengthened himself in the Lord

After everything that David had gone through, this could have been the last straw, the final blow that pushed him over the edge. King Saul had “rewarded” David’s faithfulness to him by turning on him, and year after year sought to kill him faithfully (1 Samuel chapter 16ff). David had had the chance to kill Saul on two different occasions, but had refused to lay a hand on Lord’s anointed. And after all that David and his supporters returned one day to their temporary home Ziklag, only to find that the Amalekites had invaded it, burned it with fire, and had taken captive the women and the children and carried them away. Not only this, but in their distress David’s supporters spoke of stoning him. Both David and his men were distraught, they “lifted up their voices and wept, until they had no more power to weep” (1 Samuel 30:1,2, 6).

“But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God” (verse 6). I have come to realize that every negative thing that happens to us, is a crossroads. We can take offence in our grief ike David’s men did, and turn on those we love. And make no mistake about it, if we embrace offence, those we love will suffer (see Hebrews 12:15). On the other hand we can choose like David did, to strengthen ourselves in the Lord. Now the Lord has provided resources to enable us to do this. His Grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9), but we do need to tap into it. In my own struggles (and we all struggle at times) His Word plays an important role. In particular “Your Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against You” (Psalm 119:11).

Part of what I have hidden (as in memorize) are His promises. Even when I don’t have a clue how He is going to do it, I choose to believe that He is working even in the evil for my good (Romans 8:28). By faith I embrace hope believing I will see the goodness of the Lord even in the here and now (Psalm 27:13). And as I grow in Him and learn to please Him, I claim that He will make even my enemies to be at peace with me. He has already done this, and more than once, and so I feed on His faithfulness (Proverbs 16:7; Psalm 37:3). Now perhaps none of this mean all that much to you, but whether this is the case or not, there are principles and promises that He wants to make personal for you. Of course you do have to hide His Word in your heart to make this happen. And you can do that (memorize His Word), you can, you really can (Philippians 4:13)!

Father, I was remembering again this morning that Your Word is the only offensive weapon in our arsenal, and that with it we are able to quench all the fiery darts of the Evil One. Father I ask for myself and all reading these posts that You will help us not to fail to obtain Your Grace in which we stand and so, having done all, stand. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment