Thursday, June 20, 2019

Heart of the matter is the heart (I) Denial


Denial is not a river in Egypt (de Nile), but it is a real and rampant phenomenon. Denial is about refusing, or being unable, to see what is likely obvious to everyone else. Perhaps the only exception is when we are in a community of denial. A recovering saying warns “Show me your friends, and will show you your future!” In such a community if I come out of denial, then the others are likely to turn on me as a form of self defence, defending their own denial. The phenomenon of denial in those caught up in substance abuse is well known. What is perhaps less well-known, is that at some level we are all in denial about something. I mean have you never rationalized something which later realized was wrong? Somebody once said that to rationalize means to tell rational lies, it's called denial!

I have gotten into trouble with some Christian by quoting Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all and desperately wicked, who can know it?” I have shared before that at the time of my conversion almost a half-century ago, that the Lord had shown me how wicked my heart was. I had come to the Lord through a broken marriage in which initially I had blamed her 100% for what had gone wrong. So convinced was I, that I had murder in my heart, and I am not sure I would not follow through and I thought I could have gotten away with it! There is a saying, that if a man wants to do something he will find a thousand reasons to do it. If that same man does not want to do the very same thing, he will find a thousand reasons not to do it.  When we tell ourselves lies we are in denial!

So what so what I am saying, is that many Christians have no idea how deceitful their hearts are. But if it’s true, and the word of God says that it but I don’t know it,  then I am indeed deceived, and likely in denial about all sorts of things. And if that’s you, the devil is likely very happy with you, because if you don’t think you have any issues, then you don’t need to deal with them. And if we don’t deal with our issues, there is no way we will be being transformed from one degree of glory to another (2 Corinthians 3:18). And this transformation is the testimony of Jesus, and it is what that makes others want what we have. And how widespread this phenomena of denial in the church, is evidenced by the fact of how ineffectual we are. In fact sadly, the church has, to a greater or lesser extent, been squeezed into the World's mold, but is in deep denial about it. Let he who thinks he stands take care lest he fall (1 Corinthians 10:12).

Please pray with me “Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm139:23, 24).” Father, it’s not about where I am in my journey, about how mature I am. No, it’s about having my heart transformed as gaze upon Jesus. Your Word tells us Father,  that man looks on the outer appearance, but You look on the heart. Truly Lord the heart of the matter is the heart.  In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment