Sunday, July 21, 2019

Leave, cleave, one flesh (IV) One flesh


God is not some Scrooge in the sky looking down on people having sex and ask condemning them and asking “What are they doing?” He is the Creator, and sex is His idea! But we do need to understand that when He says no, or wait, it is for our provision and our protection. In particular there are consequences to not do things His way, and in the end we miss out. The phrase “the two shall become one flesh” refers to sexual intercourse both inside and  outside marriage. In fact if I have sex with a prostitute I become one flesh with her (1 Corinthians 6:16). Hollywood celebrates all forms of sexuality as harmless, healthy and wholesome, and by omission, without consequence. It's a huge lie!
Financially there is a multibillion dollar cost in terms of dealing with sexually transmitted diseases and abortion. And if you think about it, if we followed the Biblical admonitions (1 Thessalonians 4:3-5), all this wold  be eradicated in a single generation. I am not of course naive enough to believe that would ever happen! But what I want to mention this morning,  is the staggering emotional and spiritual consequences of our culture’s pseudo, hyper, sexuality. One of the Bible’s words for dissolution of the one flesh,  is to “tear asunder. ” And this tearing is, to a greater or lesser extent, costly in emotional terms. It is hardest, I believe, on any children involved. Research has shown that no matter how amiable,   there is lingering, life long trauma in adult children of this “asundering.” Research has also shown that the most well adjusted children come from  loving traditional families with both parents present.
It is no exaggeration to say that there has never been a generation so characterized by the orphan spirit. I believe is is because we have turned out backs on Biblical morality. But I  also want to talk about provision. Though becoming “one flesh” can refer to any sexual union, it is God's intention that it be intensely spiritual, a unions of body, soul and spirit. A friend of mine once described this as “soul touch.” And once again, the order leave, cleave, one flesh is important. In leaving well we deal with the issues of the soul hinder true  intimacy.  In cleaving well we covenant to a spiritual union that is intended to mirror the loving covenant relationship between Jesus and the Church (Ephesians 5:31,32). It is about a deep and true intimacy, which I believe  can only happen in safe and secure, monogamous, life long relationship.

Father, forgive us for the times we have taken a casual approach to our faith. If Paul would not rest on his laurels, neither should I   (1 Corinthians 10:12). And so Lord search my heart again this morning,   and see if there be any wicked way in me. Show me from Your Word Lord, and restore the joy of my salvation. Renew my passion again this morning Lord, and  help me to love You with all my heart, mind, soul and strength in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment