Friday, November 8, 2019

In all kinds of trials, count it all joy (III) Half measures profited us nothing

My old boss  used to tell of a struggling student he was helping. On the exam he got a 55, five marks above a pass. He told the student thinking he would be pleased, but got the response “Those five marks represent two hours work I needn't have done!” What was disturbing, is that the student was a teacher, seeking to upgrade his qualifications. The system was partially to blame for giving the same reward an A and  a mere pass. And part of the problem  is that we have largely failed to instill a love of learning. It’s all about the either getting through, or getting an A! Many of us do life the same way, being content to survive, doing the absolute minimum to get through, but it’s joyless. There's much truth in the saying “most men live lives of quiet desperation.” But I’m not content to merely survive, I’m promised life in all its fullness (John 10:10b). And I will not settle for anything less than everything He has for me, this is my birthright, fullness of life is my destiny!

The phrase “half measures profited us nothing” is part of the AA introductory blurb. May of us will not change until the pain of being stuck becomes grater than the pain and fear of change. For myself, I had to come to a series of ever deeper bottoms,  before I became willing to change. There's a sense in which it's an  advantage to come to our deepest bottom, where if we don’t change, we will die. But you don’t have to get there to see that what we get out of life,  is directly proportional to what we put into it. There's a relevant Einstein quote I’ve changed slightly “We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking or effort, that got us into them.” I am currently thrown together with some who have come out of crack cocaine addictions, and I'm challenged  by their zeal,  determination to stay clean,  and to grow in recovery,  and in Christ.

There are a couple of verses I want to quote whose application is usually in the negative.  But this morning I want to turn it over and give a positive application. They are “You reap what you sow,” and “with the measure you use it will be measured to you” (Galatians 6:7; Matthew 7:2). In particular, when we give it our all,  we reap positive rewards,  rewards in both the here and now, and in the hereafter. We will not soar like the eagle if we are content  to live like a turkey! And we are intended to soar (Isaiah 40:31). It involves total trust, and learning to give to the Lord all we need to give Him. And the verse we are considering over these few days (James 1:2), is all about reaching for the stars, not being content to live in mediocrity, but being determined, with his help, to be more than conquerors (Romans 8:37).

Lord Jesus Christ,   I thank You that You have set a path before us that brings meaning and purpose in life,  and fulfillment. Thank You that we can have joy even in the midst of diverse and multicoloured trials. Only in you are these things possible, but we can attain all  these things through You who strengthens us, in Your precious Name I pray these things  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment