Wednesday, November 13, 2019

In trials, count it all joy (VIII) If anyone lacks wisdom …

There are essentially three ways to respond to trials. We can be offended, offended with God or others. We can pretend it doesn't matter, stuffing our feelings, telling ourselves and others we're fine. Or we can practice choosing to count it all joy, as with His help, we move in that direction. And His help is available in a number ways. This morning we are considering the promise at the end of the section “If anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally, without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting” (James 1:5,6). In the midst of our trials, we really do need wisdom. Should we remain silent, or should we speak? Should we go the second mile, or would that be enabling behaviour?

Many of the exceedingly great and precious promises (like this one) have a premise, a condition that must be fulfilled before the promise can be claimed. The promise that the truth will set you free, is contingent upon me continuing in, and obeying, His Word (John 8:31, 32). In the James promise, we need to admit we lack wisdom, and we need to ask. I often tell the Lord “I qualify, for this promise, I lack wisdom, and I’m asking! But how does He answer? For me the primary principle is that “My sheep hear my voice” (John 10:3). And of course, His sheep are those that follow (verse 4). But how do we hear? Most often, it's a verse from Scripture, that He illuminates in some way. Then there is His rhama Word, something whispered into our hearts by Holy Spirit. But since, in the midst of trials our emotions are likely to be inflamed, we need to “test all things” (1 Thessalonians 5:1).

One of the ways I have found helpful, is to journal. Here, when I am overwhelmed, I can pour out my complaint to the Lord (Psalm 142:2, 3). I can then allow Him to bring my soul out of prison (verse 7) as, with His help as I quiet my soul before Him (Psalm 131:2). In the beginning, I would write letter after letter, but while I was pouring out my complaint, it was not to the Lord. I was pouring out my complaint in writing, to the one who was blocking communication, wanting to give them a piece of my mind. But you know what, I can't afford to give even part of my mind away! And I learned the hard way to wait and pray before I sent them. There is wisdom in many counsellors (Proverbs 15:22), and even after sleeping on them, and still thinking that I should send them, I have learnt that I should bounce the letter off a trusted friend. Many times a friend can pick up a wrong tone, or something that's likely to be misinterpreted in a way you don't intend. In the end I have probably sent less that one percent of them!  And when I do these things, I can trust that my asking is in faith (James 1:6).

Father, thank You for Your help in dealing with my inflamed passions. The other person is the the enemy, for our struggle is not against flesh and blood (Ephesians 6:12). Help me Lord to pour out my complaint to You, and then turn it into prayer. Thank You fervent prayer of the righteous, are powerful and effective (James 5:16) in Jesus Name Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment