Monday, November 11, 2019

In trials, count it all joy (VI) Let perseverance finish its work

I had known for a very long time,  that waiting patiently was to be part of my lot, part of my life long instructions (Psalm 40:1). And when a major disruption came in my life, I knew had to wait for the fulfillment of the promise that came with it. Well I waited, but for the longest time, my waiting was far from patient.  And when the Lord asked me if I had waited patiently, I could only answer that I had waited. Other translations of the phrase we are looking at this morning have “patience” in place of “perseverance,” and I had to practice this. I said earlier counting it all joy is not about pretending, it is however about practicing.  And for me this is what the phrase from James 1:4 is about. The full verse reads “Let perseverance finish its work, so that you may be perfect and completely developed, lacking in nothing.” And it's our faith that is being tested (verse 3), so that as we practice, it's our faith that is being perfected,  and completely developed.

So if it’s about practicing these things,  what are we practicing, and what does practice look like? Well first of all we are practicing what is variously translated as perseverance, patience and endurance. And as to how, the key word is “let,” let endurance/patience/perseverance  have its way. What would happened with me, is  I'd blow it, and in the process get myself all in a twist. I would then come to the Lord,  confess my unbelief, and He would direct me, often through a verse. There are times when He would ask “Why are you praying, get up and act” (Joshua 7:10ff), while also telling  me what to do (James 1:5). Then there are times He might say “In quietness and confidence will be your strength, in returning and rest you will be saved” (Isaiah 30:15). I might have to repent for my lack of confidence,  or my impatience.  But I also need to be patient with myself, I am practicing, and practice makes perfect.

But the Lord has also given us tools. It's our faith that's being tested, and “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God” (Romans 10:17). I keep a file of verses the Lord has drawn my attention to, and in particular of His promises to me. And when I’m feeling discouraged, I go to them and turn the promises into declarations.  I declare for example “All my children shall be taught by the Lord, And great shall be their peace” (Isaiah 54:11). I might pray into that saying “Lord please use the crises in their lives to draw then closer to You,” or  “Lord You know that I sought to bring them up in the way that they should go, and so I declare that when they are old, they will not depart from it.” In the meantime, I seek to hold them like you would a little yellow bird (see November 9 post).

Father, thank You for Your patience and perseverance with us, with me. I am grateful this morning Lord, that it's not all up to me, and that You have promised to keep right on working in me until that day when  I will know You,  because I will be like You. In Jesus Name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment