Sunday, April 25, 2021

Prayer and the transformation potential of crises

The Lord had just sorted out the conflict with Laban (Genesis 31), and now Jacob was passing over in to Esau's territory. On his way he meets the Angels of God and says “This is God's camp.” He sends messages ahead to Esau explaining how he had prospered and calling himself Esau's servant. The message is “I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find favour in your sight.”  He hears back that Esau is coming to meet him with four hundred men. Jacob is petrified and decides to spit his company in two thinking that if Esau attacks one, the other will escape. He prays to God saying it was God who told him  to return to his country and family. He tells God he is not worthy of the least of all His mercies, for he left with only his staff and now he is two companies. He asks God to deliver him from Esau because “You said ' “I will surely treat you well, and make your descendants as the sand of the sea ... '” (32:1-12).

In light of Esau's feeling that Jacob had stolen his birthright Benson,  in his commentary,  suggest Esau may have thought Jacob had come to take possession of his father Isaac’s property on his death. Since Esau lived at a distance from Isaac (verse 3), he may also have thought Jacob had obtained his wealth from that source.  As I know well from personal  experience, the potential for misunderstanding when two people are at loggerheads is enormous.  When somebody is convinced you are a villain, true or untrue, even the best actions with the best motives can be interpreted as manipulation or your intent to deceive.  People at loggerheads are also slow to acknowledge change even when it is obvious to everyone else.  It is not clear exactly when,  or how much Jacob had changed at this point.  But his humble prayer here is very different from the bargain he made with God at Bethel  (if You ... then I ...  28:20, 21).  But what's very clear, is that crises have great potential for transformation. In recovery circles we call this coming to our bottom, coming to the end of ourselves,  seeing how much we need to change,  and how incapable we are of doing  that without His help.

The Lord knows what we need, and had sent his angels to demonstrate that was was indeed still with him. When praying in crisis,  or indeed at other times too,  it is good to remind God of His promises.  Many times praying and going back over His promises has helped me to come back to a place of peace and rest, as in faith I affirm that He has this.

 
Father,  I am amazed  how time after time as I am working my way through there stories that there is something there for me in my day.  Jacob was dealing with a double whammy, and so am I.  You tell us that one of the reasons for trials is to see what is in our hearts (Deuteronomy 8:2), and I have had to examine my heart over and over during these last few days. In particular am I more interested in reconciliation than in being right, or in returning the same from what I feel I am getting. Thank You Lord that Your Grace is sufficient, and that You who have begun a work in me are not about to stop now in Jesus Name Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment