Tuesday, December 27, 2011

You can't let it change your life

This was the reaction of a friend to my conversion many, many years ago. “Religion is alright” he told me, “but you can't let it change your life”. I was reminded of this, this morning as I re-read the story of the Magi, who saw His star in the east and came to worship Him (Matthew 2:1- 13).

Actually, there were three reactions to the revelation of the knowledge of the coming king. There was Herod who was violently opposed, there were the religious leaders who possessed knowledge but it was “not mixed with faith” (leading to action – Hebrews 4:2), then there was the Magi who went out of their way not only to seek Him, but to worship Him. Their attitude shouted “It must change your life.” As James would have it “Faith without works is dead – works are the evidence of faith (James 2:17,18 - see also the post salvation by faith, assurance by works).

Jesus told us “He that it not for me is against me. He would rather that we be like Herod than like the “religious”. Jesus speaking to the Church at Laodicea told them “I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth” (Revelation 3:15,16).

Prayer: Lord forbid that I should respond to your coming with apathy. Father grant me a renewed passion and zeal for You and Your Kingdom. In Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment