Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What about the heathen?

It's a politically incorrect way of asking, but a friend of mine asked it this morning citing his grandfather. So I suppose we can forgive him. :). My answer, was that we are not told clearly about those who are distanced from the good news either by geography, or time.

There are indications. For example we are told Abraham, separated by time from Christ, believed and it was counted to him for righteousness. Or again “Where there is no law, there is no transgression for sin.” But there is no getting away from the exclusivity of Christianity. If he or she who chooses not to believe is condemned already because he or she has chosen not to receive the forgiveness offered, then the question about the heathen is mute. When asked a similar question, Jesus answered this way “What is that to you? You must follow me.”

For me the biggest difference (though not the only one) is this question of forgiveness. If, when I am offered the free gift of forgiveness I refuse it, then I remain unforgiven. All choices (even the choice not to choose) have consequences. As for me, though very far from perfect, I am forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment