Monday, June 19, 2017

He chose us in Him …. that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love

The Lord tells elsewhere, that we did not choose him but that he chose us. The full version of the above verse from Ephesians 1:4 is “just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love.” These aspects of salvation are mysterious, since we also know that we have a choice, that He he will not force himself upon us. The only way I can get my head around this it is to think that when He, in advance, knew that I would choose Him, then He chose me.

But more important than trying to understand this mystery, is to notice that he has a purpose in choosing us, and His purpose is that we should be holy and without blame before him in love. He calls us saints, and then calls us to be saintly. I think it’s true to to say that all of us struggle at times in our relationship with Him. Sometimes we are more intentional in seeking to please Him and cooperate with him in the just mentioned purpose. And, at least in my own life, there are times when I am less than successful in this endeavour. At such times I thank him for his Mercy and Grace, and for His promise that when I confess my sins He is faithful and just to forgive me my sins, and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness.

Father, I thank You that you call me a saint, and You call me to be saintly. Thank you for the times that you forgive me when my life fails to live up to your high calling. Lord I want to respond to your love in a positive way. I know you don’t want me to strive, but to operate out of rest even in this. Thank you that Paul goes on in verse 6 of this same chapter to tell us that we are eternally accepted In Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment