Saturday, June 24, 2017

In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths

We can take it for granted that God is far more willing to lead, guide and direct us, then we are to be led, guided and directed. But He will not force His guidance on us, we have to acknowledge Him in all our ways. But what does this mean?

The previous verse, verse 5 of Proverbs chapter 3, admonishes us to trust in the Lord with all of our heart, and to not trust in our own understanding. So part of what it means to acknowledge him in all our ways is to trust that He knows best, and to yield to the guidance that He is so willing to give us.

I remember a young lady years ago now, who had just become a Christian. She told me she was willing to trust God in everything except her relationships. In fact she had set her heart on hooking up with a man who in fact had no interest in her. And of course it turned out badly. So we need to trust him in all, underline all, our ways.

Part of what I’m illustrating here, is that many times we think we know what is best, but his ways are higher than our ways, and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. Jesus told us that unless we become as a little child we cannot enter the kingdom. He is talking about the trust of a little child, and the willingness to follow and obey even when they don’t understand.

I have found that I need to be particularly careful when I want, or don’t want, something. And I have found the best way to acknowledge Him in this particular instance, is as much as is possible within me, to put my will into neutral. That is I wrestle with the problem until I am wiling to do, or not to do the particular thing I am wrestling with. When I do this I don’t always get what I would prefer, but in the long run it always seems to turn out for the best.

Father, I need your help in acknowledging you in all my ways. It is very easy for me to fool myself into thinking I know what you want in a particular situation. Holy Spirit, I give you permission to interrupt my life. Help me always be willing to fulfill the condition of this promise, in order that I may claim your direction in my life. I choose to trust that you know best in Jesus name amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment