Thursday, November 22, 2018

Eye has not seen, nor ear heard …

There was a glorious sunrise here this morning. It stretched from the East to the West with a thousand shades of orange. And it changed from moment to moment, as I watched. And several times I tried in vain to catch the fullness the glory on my camera. But while the eye of the camera can catch something of the glory, in the end it is a pale imitation of reality. And somehow it reminded me the verse “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man, the things God has prepared for those who love Him.” (1 Corinthians 2:9).

I do however catch a glimps of these things in a sunrise or a sunset, or in the fall colours. And this morning as I gazed at the sunrise, the phrase "eye candy" came to mind, and I had this picture of a beloved sister and I driving to Corner Brook when I was there, and her chuckling with delight at the fall colours. If we delight over these things, how much more must He, our Father delight in our delight? After all “He delights over you with singing” (Zephaniah 3:17). He is the prince of delight, He is the author of joy and peace and hope and love, and in these thoughts, He is indeed giving me a glimps of all that He is, of all that you and I mean to Him, and of the pleasures for evermore that He has in store for us (Psalm 16:11).

Some people think heaven and hell are here on earth, and I think know what they mean. I mean I think that we catch a glimps of hell if we think about the here and now with everything remouved that is true and noble and just and lovely, and whatever is of good report. And we can catch a glimps of heaven if we think about the here and now with everything that the opposite remouved. But this morning’s verse is essentially saying “You ain’t seen nothing yet.” And I am caused to wonder again why anyone would not want that. But then again I know that “the god of this age has blinded the eyes of those who do not believe” (2 Corinthians 4:4). And it brings me to ask again “How shall I then live” (2 Peter 3:11)?

Father, I want to thank You this morning for the beauty and the glory of creation. Thank You Lord that for those who have eyes to see, the invisible things of Yourself are so very, very obvious (Romans 1:20). Once I too was blind Lord, but now I see. And I ask You this morning Father, to help me to live a life that points to You, and for You to give me courage to be Your ambassador, speaking Your words when You want me to speak, and the serenity to be silent when You want me to be silent, and to know by the nudging of Your precious Holy Spirit when to do what. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment