Friday, March 15, 2019

I have many things to say to you, but you are not yet able to bear them

I picture Peter as a big burly fisherman, passionate, impulsive, yet easily crushed by criticism. But perhaps that last thing is more about me, than Peter! Then again perhaps it’s all of us! And if it’s true that in many things we all fail, then there must be lots of things that are hidden, denied, rationalized and/or excused. Well of course, we don’t know, what we don’t know! But if we believe that the Bible is true, then it must be true, that in many things we do indeed all fail (James 3:2)! In this morning’s title quote from John 16:12, the disciples had been with Jesus for three years, and He had already dealt with many things during that time. But still He held back, knowing that they were not yet ready to hear the many things He still needed to say.

I never cease to be amazed by the dichotomy that we, on the one hand are so resilient, having such an incredible ability to bounce back, and to overcome almost insurmountable obstacles. On the other hand we seem, at the same time, to be very, very fragile! We can be as bold as a lion in the face of unimaginable danger, yet be paranoid about a mouse! When it comes to receiving the truth about ourselves, we seemed to be able to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid facing up to it. Yet it is the truth that sets us free (John 8:32)! I was saying last day, that in intimate relationships we need to give each other permission to gently, lovingly and prayerfully draw each other’s attention to the flaws that hinder our fellowship. Part of what I’m saying this morning, is that if we are going to do that, then we need to realize how fragile we ourselves are in this area, and so to be very, very careful about the if and the how and when we do this.

This morning's quote from Jesus comes in the midst of His private ministry to the eleven, on the very night He was betrayed. So when was He going to be able to say the many things He needed to say? Well He was, of course, going to speak them through His Holy Spirit. I have found, that I much prefer it to be the Lord who tells me what He needs me to hear. He knows when to say it, and how to say it in a way that I will not feel condemned or belittled, but in a way that I am actually able to hear. For this reason, when I find myself in conflict with somebody with whom I am in close relationship, I prefer to go to Him first “considering myself” (Galatians 6:1), and to ask Him to show me any part I may have played in what is going wrong.

Father, thank You that You are kind and compassionate, tenderhearted and forgiving towards us. And since You are this way with us, it only makes sense that You require us to be the same way with each other (Ephesians 4:32). We need Your help Lord! Help us Lord to regard each and every negative interaction as an opportunity for You to make us more like Christ. Thank You for the abundant grace You make available time, after time, after time in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment