Wednesday, March 20, 2019

We know that in all things God works for good for His lovers (II)

I was saying last day that when our lives line up with God and His purposes, we can be confident (truly know), that He is turning things round and working in all things for our good (Romans 8:28). When we press into this (see January 20 post about pressing in) so that we experience this truth, it enables us to better handle life. It starts with a choice. What I mean is that when life hands us a curve ball, we need to realize we are at a crossroads. We all have a default mode of operation, getting angry, or depressed, or looking for someone to blame etc., etc. This is to operate according to the sinful nature, but in context, Paul has been talking about the need, by the Spirit, to put this kind of reaction to death (verse 13).

If we truly believed, no matter what happened, the good, the bad and the ugly, that it would all turn out right in the end, then we could relax and enjoy the journey. But as the verse says, we do know, and as Paul asks rhetorically in verse 31 “If God be for us who can be against us?” Now you can be sure that our knowing, our faith in this, will be tested. It is part of the battle to believe! And since faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Romans 10:17), when I find myself in the midst of a trial or temptation, I need to go back to the promises and principles upon which I have meditated. So I might remind myself of this mornings verse, or I might claim the promise that “The God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast” (1 Peter 5:10).

When I do this, and when God comes through for me, as he always does in strengthening and settling me in spite of what’s going on, then it’s as though He has placed another brick in the “wall of my faith!” And when He has done this over and over, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, then the wall becomes thick and strong and tall. And I am well on the way to becoming the overcomer He designed me to be. And as He moves me from glory to glory in this way, I become more like Jesus (verse 29), as I share in the fellowship of the suffering (Philippians 3:10) of the One who Himself was perfected in suffering (Hebrews 2:19).

Lord Jesus, You tell us clearly that trials and offences must come, but I do not want to be the cause of offence to anyone (Luke 17:1). I am also aware, that I am the only Bible some people will read! I need Your help here Lord to be the man You call me to be, and to live a life that adorns the gospel. I need Your boldness to speak when You would have me speak. I need Your peace to be silent when You would bid me be silent, and I need more of Your love so as to pray compassionately for those who hurt me or get under my skin. And I need grow in faith to believe that You truly are working all things together for my good. And I pray these things in Your lovely and precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment