Thursday, December 3, 2020

Those who do wickedly against the covenant

.... he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and firmly resist him (Daniel 11:32).  Some have attempted to identify the “he” of this prophecy with later historical figures, but this passage is very difficult to identify in history. The principles however are not difficult to understand.  In every age there are those who “do wickedly against the covenant,”  that is who throw out the commandments and principles of God.  And it is more than easy to lead those who have done so into further corruption. I have often said in jest “flattery will get you everywhere!” Flattery of course is excessive or insincere praise. Paul admonishes  everyone to not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. Well I have not arrived in this area, how about you?

Paul tells us those who have done wickedly against  the covenant have been taken captive by the devil to do his will (2 Timothy 2:26). “But the people who know their God ...”  The “but” indicates that the people who know their God are different.  But what does it mean  to know God?  There's a huge difference between knowing about Him,  and knowing Him. To know Him is to love Him and others. John tells us that He who does not love, does not know God, for God is love  (1 John 4:7). Our ability to love at all is because He initiated love.  He is the very source of it, all of it, even if we don't acknowledge this fact  (1 John 4:19 NIV). If God did not exist, neither would love. I used to think I had a lot of love, but I came to realize that I have not arrived in this area either!

It is a process, learning to love and learning to know Him are inseparable, and we need to have a realistic sense of where we are in this.  Paul again tells us clearly that we may profess to know God, but by their actions deny Him being “detestable and  disobedient” (Titus 1:16). If we know God we will truly want to serve and be obedient to Him. Knowing God is about being in ongoing relationship with Him in this way. It is to no longer live for ourselves, but for Him who love us and gave Himself for us (2 Corinthians 5:15). To do this, is to be in the process of becoming “strong, and firmly” resisting the enemy of our souls. The last part of  this morning's verse in the NKJV talks about doing “great exploits.” The World has yet to see what God can do with someone who is fully committed to Him! There are some who come close to showing us! I am thinking of Roland and Heidi Baker (Google “Iris ministries”).

Father, over and over I keep coming back to the recovery saying that it is progress that we aim for not perfection. I am not what I want to be, but thank You Lord I am not what I once was.  Thank You that though I am flawed,  I am fully accepted in the Beloved (Ephesians 1:6),  and that You who began a good work in me will keep right on working in me until that Day I see You face to face (Philippians 1:6). For this, and many other things, I give You thanks and Praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment