Friday, December 18, 2020

Though the fig tree does not blossom

.... Though there be no sheep in the fold ....    Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength; He will make my feet like gazelles' feet.  He  makes me walk on the heights (Habakkuk 3:17-19). Disaster was everywhere, the Babylonians were about to conquer (1:6), the wicked were prospering and the righteous oppressed (1:3),  the crops had failed and the flocks destroyed. Yet, in spite of this, Habakkuk was determined to rejoice in the God of his salvation and deliverance! But he  didn't start off that way. In 1:2 he complains “O LORD, how long shall I cry, and You will not hear?”

The change came when he went into the secret place to watch for “what He will say to me.”  He is given  a vision and  told to write it down “so that those who read it can run,” but also  to wait for it, though it tarry (2:2, 3). Part of what he sees,  is that in spite of the flourishing of iniquity, there is coming a time when “For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea” (2:12, 14).  Habakkuk had found his centre in the secret place. I am reminded of Psalm 91:1, 2  “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and my fortress;  in Him I will trust.'”

Notice joy and strength are go together (3:18).  Indeed “the joy of the Lord is our strength (Nehemiah 8:10). Note also that both rejoicing in the Lord and trust  are choices.  Habakkuk writes  “I will rejoice in the Lord.” David writes  “in Him will I trust.”  We too may,  when our hearts are overwhelmed within us,  need to start by pouring out our complaint to the Lord (Psalm 142:2ff). Note that it is  first  “to the Lord” not to friends, which often involving them in things we should not. However, if the Lord does direct you to take it further, there is a  procedure that needs to follow, with its ultimate purpose of reconciliation (Matthew 18:15-17).  And to stress the point it's all about reconciliation not revenge! But I digress, the point is that the Lord wants us to come to peace and joy.  And there is a passage that I “work” when my heart is overwhelmed within me. It's Philippians 4:4-7, and by working it I go through it phrase by phrase repenting where I have not followed the instructions. And I choose to replace my anxiety with all kinds of prayer,  not forgetting to be thankful. Depending on how overwhelmed I am,  I may need to go through it several times before I am able to rest in His promised shalom peace (verse 7).

Lord Jesus, thank You  Lord for Your Word that is written so that we who read can run, that is tap into the principles and promises. In particular that allow us to tap into the peace that passes understanding.  Thank You for the assurance of the ultimate total victory and some of it in the here and now (Psalm 27:13).. Thank You Lord that as we wait (tarry) on You,  You make our feet like the sure footed gazelles, who are able to rest and be secure in the high places of Your presence (Ephesians 2:6), in Your precious Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment