Sunday, May 23, 2021

An interesting conservation

When my soul is troubled, I like to walk. This morning I was walking the East Coast Trail that continues from  middle Cove. I was  sat on a bench the next cove over observing the complex motion of the sea around several large rocks that sat far above the surface. I had my notebook in my hand.  A family of hikers came by, and the man remarked that it was a good place to meditate. I replied that that was interesting because that’s exactly what I was doing. I explained that I am a pure mathematician, but the complex motion of the sea gave me a desire to study fluid dynamics which of course is applied Mathematics. And I said to him point to the waves, “what is fascinating here, is that there are equations that describe the motion here. And I have to wonder how evolution explains that!

He essentially mentioned that random small changes plus time leaves many things unexplained.  I replied that one of the things that it does not explain,  is why it actually makes sense to study the order in a universe that arrived here by pure chance (I did not mention that modern science started in the church and came out of the belief that God is a God or order so it makes sense to study His ordered universe).  “For example,” I continued “there is an interesting article by a man called Michael Behe that talks about irreducible complexity. He explains this in terms of a mousetrap. If you remove any one of the components that make up a mousetrap, it will not work, the spring, base, the bait. In particular, the fflagellum  that can be found in every single  single cell is comparable in complexity to an outboard motor, on a boat. In order for it to work all the components have to be come together at the same time. In particular its ability to reproduce as has to come at the very beginning.” He responded by pointing to the wonder of life coming from non-life, from the so called Primordial soup.

I said to him that there's another thing that is equally inexplicable, what scientists call the Big Bang. I continued by saying that the presuppositions of naturalism, which imply that we will eventually be able to explain everything in terms of natural processes, but in the end this boils down to saying “in the beginning nothing created have the everything that is out of nothing!” He laughed,  and said in that case I’m not a naturalist. He muttered something about higher powers,  but was very careful to point out he was not talking about God. I said to him “well what you mean by God anyway?” I then told him it’s probably time you caught up with your family who had gone ahead and of him. In particular I did not try to ram the gospel down his throat

Father, thank You for this gift to me in my troubled time. Teach us to talk to those who don't know You, and help us not to be over anxious always wanting to leave them with the Gospel. The good news makes no sense unless you know the bad news that you are a sinner on your way to hell unless you receive Christ's sacrifice for you on the cross. Holy Spirit lead us and teach us as we talk to a lost world. I pray that we will say every word You want us to say, but not one word more, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment