Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,

..... and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom (Psalm 51:6).

At the time of my breakdown years ago the Christian therapist I went to told me that in a dispute both sides know only about 10% of the truth. I have come to believe that, not the accuracy of the percentage, but the rough designation of the proportions. In other words neither of us know truth in the inward parts. And the problem is,   we think we do. We make categorical statements such as you did this, and the other person,  without admitting their fault says, well you did that.  

I recently heard Jordon Peterson say that we need covenant, because “You're trouble, and I'm trouble!”  Well I can see clearly enough that  you're trouble, be me? Well,  I have this tendency to minimize my own faults and to maximize yours.  Mine faults are little ones, but yours, now yours are serious. I might even need to fix you before you do any more damage to the world!

They say if you look at a quarter from across the room it looks pretty small, but if you hold it up right in front of your eye, you can't see anything else. When you are at loggerheads with someone,  have you ever tried to list their positive points?  It's really hard, especially when you are hurt or angry over what they have done, or what you think they have done (10% of the truth right?)! No but really, you know that you are right, right?  I mean I know I'm right :).

So do we need covenant? Do we need to covenant together in order, as much as is within us,  to live at peace with all (Romans 12:18)? You know clearly that I am trouble, but you know recovery is about looking at “my side of the street,”  and only when I am willing to do that,  and to ask the Lord, honestly and sincerely to search my heart and to show me any wicked way (Psalm 139:23, 24), only then do we have any chance to come together to the foot of the cross and confess our own faults, rather than the other persons. We need His truth and His mercy, I do!

Father, You tell us not to judge, but we call it discernment and a  correct diagnosis of the other person and their problem. Lord this business of confessing our faults to one another is tricky, it's not that easy. It's a process, and it likely starts the wrong way with confessing the other person's faults (i.e. accusation). But we don't call it accusation, we call it speaking the truth in love. Perhaps it is, or perhaps it's a mixture? Who can know the secrets of his heart? Give me humility Lord, and teach me truth in the inward parts,  make me to know wisdom in that hidden part of my heart.  Help me to see my part clearly Lord,  and then to make amends. Only then can I claim the promised healing (James 5:16). Thank You for brining this verse to my attention this morning Lord,  in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment