Thursday, July 1, 2021

God created the heavens and the earth

As mentioned earlier, I came to believe the Bible because I realized more and more, that it knows me, and knows reality.  And coming to believe that the God of the Bible is the One true God (Jeremiah 10:10), comes hand in hand with that process.   The simplest answer to the fundamental philosophical question of why there is something there, is  “God created” it (Genesis 1:1). It may not be the  most intellectually satisfying answer though! For me it was that because of my pride.  I had come to believe my earlier faith was naive. But the Bible tells us that unless we have the faith of a little child we cannot enter the kingdom (Matthew 18:3).  For me it was not only my pride, but also that I wanted to do what I wanted to do.

The Bible explains this. It tells “Since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse” (Romans 1:20). We know that  creation exists, it is real! It wasn't always there, it had a beginning! It's totally illogical to say that creation caused itself to come into being. Whatever or whoever did this is,  has power far,  far above human abilities, and it has to be a god or God, it (He) has to be divine,  and He has to have incredible power. It's obvious that we will all stand before Him one day.  Will the excuse “I thought it created itself ” hold up on that day?

You may be wondering how my child like faith morphed to thinking that that faith was naive? Romans 1 explains that too! It started when I did not give Him praise and admiration (verse 21). We praise artists and musicians and athletes for their accomplishments,  and that's right.  But what about praise and admiration for creation, and the One who created it? I also became unthankful, and dissatisfied with life. What happened next is that my foolish heart became darkened (still verse 21),  and I suppressed the truth about God because it was inconvenient (verse 18),  and I wanted to do what I wanted to do.  I didn't realize,  either that when God said “no,”  it was to protect and provide for me, and that my selfish choices had consequence. The Bible warns that we reap what we sow.  If we sow to the wind, we reap the whirlwind (Galatians 6:7).

The good news is that with God there is mercy and forgiveness (1 John 1:9). He understands that most of us need to suffer the consequences of our rebellion before we wake up to understand that He is for us,  not against us, He wants our very, very best and He  relationship with Him  (Romans 8:31, 28; John17:3).

Father, You are a good, good Father and I have need to be fathered by You, I have needed Your gentle Fatherhood. Even as a Christian I was  an orphan for very long time,  and operated dysfunctionally out of that orphan spirit. Thank You Your Spirit now testifies to my spirit that I am Your beloved child. Forgive me Lord when I  made You in the image of what I wanted You to be. You are far more wonderful than I could think or imagine,  and I ask You to continue to fascinate me with Yourself, and to draw me ever deeper into Your extravagant healing love. I give You honour glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment