Wednesday, June 14, 2017

As the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds in us by Christ. 2 Cor. 1:5.

Peter, in his epistles asks why we consider it such a strange thing that we find ourselves in various trials and temptations. In other words we should not be surprised by suffering. Paul is saying something different, something deeper. He is saying that when we allow our Christ into our suffering, that the comfort and consolation that we received from Him is directly proportional to the level of suffering.

In Philippines chapter 3 Paul talks about the fellowship of his suffering. The picture I have that I think best illustrates this, is of two buddies in a war. The friendships that are forged under such circumstances, are life long friendships. In the end these friendships can go so deep each of them is willing to die for the other.

So Jesus calls us his friends, and we are in a battle. Paul again, in Ephesians chapter 6, tells us that we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, against spiritual wickedness in high places. In other words the person or circumstances that are hurting us is not the enemy. Of course Satan uses other people, who more often than not are operating out of their own woundedness. What the Lord is impressing upon me this morning, is the verse that says that when He was reviled, he reviled not again. To put this another way, if somebody attacked Him or was mean to Him, he did not respond in kind, rather he responded with grace in love.

In other words He operated in the exact opposite spirit from that which he was receiving. It hurts of course when somebody is mean to us, or accuses us especially if it’s unjust. But we can turn this into the sufferings of Christ when we respond to such things as He responded. And when we do this, the second part of the verse in our heading kicks in. In particular, it draws us closer to Him in the same way that buddies are drawn close to each other in a war.

Father, I need your grace to respond in the opposite spirit. And I can’t do this unless I stay close to you. So Father please remind me when I am hurt, of this teaching. I remember Jesus when they drove cruel spikes into Your hands and Your feet, Your response was “Father forgive them for they don’t know what they’re doing.” This is more times than not, is not my reaction, I am not like you, but I want to be. I can’t do this with You Lord, but thank You that you have begun a good work in me and will bring to fullness and completion in the day of Jesus Christ. I give you praise and thanks in Your Holy and in Your precious name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment