Wednesday, June 28, 2017

If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied

I have heard many people (Christians) say that if it wasn’t all true, they would still live the Christian life. I could not do that! I could not base my life on a lie, or a delusion or whatever it was if it was not all true. It’s not that there are not wonderful and amazing teachings and great wisdom that comes out of the Scriptures, but I know enough about delusion, to know that it’s always destructive.

Take for example the hope of the afterlife that is mentioned in today’s heading. Christ teaching about the afterlife contains statements that imply that there are only two eternal destinies, either heaven, or hell. And the same statements imply that in the end we choose. Knowing what I know, and believing what I believe, causes me great anguish at times. Jesus taught that the way to eternal life is narrow, and there are few who choose it. On the other hand the way to eternal condemnation is broad and there are many who find it. If this is not true, then it is a huge guilt trip. But if it is true, and I believe that it is, then many many people that I know are likely to end up in the wrong place. At times this is unbearable. I know it’s not ultimately my responsibility, but it is my responsibility to speak when I am called to speak, to give an answer for the hope that is within me, and to live a life that adorns the gospel. This is greatly humbling because, as the scripture says, in many things we all fail (James 3:2).

So coming to the verse, if our only hope is in the here and now, then we are indeed deserving of pity. But in this quote from 1st Corinthians 15, Paul goes on to say that Christ has risen from the dead, implying the fact of resurrection. In fact the resurrection of Jesus Christ is perhaps the most important tenant of Christianity. If it’s true, then we can believe everything that he said. If it’s not true then we can dismiss it.

In fact the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, is the most well attested fact in history. Here is not the place to go in any depth into the apologetics of this, except to ask what was it that changed the disciples from cowards that ran away, into men that turned the world upside down. And also to ask if they knew it wasn’t true, why would they die for a lie, as most of them did?

I have made it a point to study the various debates about science and faith. And I can see that many have believed the myth that science has disproved God. And it is a myth, those who believe it are greatly myth-staked (sorry). The Scripture clearly says that the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen by the things that are made (i.e. us - Romans 1:20), and for this reason we are without excuse. In the words of Paul, I beg you to be reconciled to Christ. Lord have mercy on us all. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment