Friday, April 20, 2018

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist

The standard belt worn by the Roman legionary was called he balteus. One of its uses is a said to be to hold weapons. As we shall see later, the offensive weapon, the weapon of righteousness on the right hand is the word of God. For me, the belt feels like it keeps everything together, so for me it It is also about security!

From the beginning the enemy, whom Jesus describes as the father of lies, has been seeking to pervert the truth, and to get us to question it. “Did God really say …. ?” He asked Eve. Lies are an abomination to the Lord (Proverbs 12:22), and I know at least partially why. Lies cause confusion, and threaten to undermine stability, especially when they come from someone we should be able to trust.

Our culture, which is increasingly further and further away from God, is spreading pernicious lies. And even those who name the name of Christ are embracing them. Increasingly, evil is being called good, and good is been called evil (Isaiah 5:20). So how are we to know? Well Jesus tells us that the Word of God is Truth (John 17:7; Psalm 119:160). And we need to continue in the truth, because continuing in the truth is what sets us free (John 8:32).

Father, I am remembering this morning the illustration that a counterfeit expert needs to spend time over and over, handling the genuine thing. In this way, he is more easily able to discern what is counterfeit! This reminds me that I need to spend time with You in Your Word day by day. Help me not to neglect this Lord, and as I do this, open my spiritual eyes and show me marvellous things out of Your law (Psalm 119:18). Thank You this morning Lord for the assurance that Your Word is Truth, and that I can trust it. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment