Friday, April 13, 2018

Stop doing what you know is wrong, start doing what you know is right

This advice from Canadian psychology professor and therapist Jordan Peterson is interesting. Peterson is not suggesting that you conform to some arbitrary moral code, he is suggesting that you conform to your own moral code! In fact it’s much harder than you might think. Many who have tried this, have finished up with Paul saying “I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do, this I keep on doing” (Romans 7:19). In other words not only do we not live up to our own moral standards, we are unable to do so!

Those familiar with classical twelve-step programs, will know that the first three steps essentially consist of admitting that we need help from something greater than ourselves, believing a higher power is available to restore us to sanity, and turning our lives over to this higher power. It should be obvious however, that some higher powers are more powerful than others. I often tell the boys down at the pen, that if their higher power is a tree, I don’t how much help they are going to get from their tree!

Before I came into recovery, I studied what the Bible had to say about recovery, because I wanted to help “those people.” I soon discovered however, that I am one of those people. I already knew that the greatest of all higher powers is Jesus Christ, and that the power to change comes in and through relationship with Him working the principles and promises to be found in His Word. It is not automatic, but progressive freedom comes in ongoing obedience and total surrender to these things. In fact in such surrender, He even changes our desires (John 8:31, 32; Philippians 2:12, 13). I have found this to be very, very necessary at times.

Father, thank You for your promise that if the Son shall set you free you will be free indeed (John 8:36). It is progressive Lord, and I’m not there yet. I want to thank You this morning Lord that You have brought me out of several desolate pits, You have established my steps and have put a song of praise in my mouth to You my Lord, my God and my Saviour. It is my desire Lord,. that my life might bring honour and glory and praise to You (Psalm 40:1- 3) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment