Saturday, May 19, 2018

He who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city

The tendency to go along with the things our culture values is not new. In ancient days in the Middle East and elsewhere, war was just something you did. This is shown by the phrase “In the spring, at the times kings go out to war…” (2 Samuel 11:1). In that culture war was glorified, and the victor was a hero. So then the taking of the city was something to be greatly desired. But whatever our present culture values be it success, or wealth, or fame or fortune, this quote from Proverbs 16:32, points to something that is better, greater, more to be desired. In his sight, it is not the one who rules over the city who is great, but the one who rules over his or her spirit. Self-control is part of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:23), but it is hardly the spirit of the age!

Solomon is said to be the wisest man who ever lived, but he was not obedient. The Lord had told him not to multiply foreign wives or horses, but he did both (Deuteronomy 17:6; 1 Kings 10:26; 11: 1, 2). And these were his downfall! When we develop appetites for things forbidden, be it for food, or money, or success, or for sexual conquest, the appetites don’t simply go away when we want them to! How many marriages have fallen, because one or the other did not learn to rule his or her spirit in these areas.

And the spirit of the age is instant gratification in whatever area your heart desires. Well, that’s not new either, there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9). Solomon tells us “I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure” (Ecclesiastes 2: 10). I have heard people say “How could anything that feels so good be wrong?” But as the Scripture says “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end leads to death” (Proverbs 14), and as I keep saying, we do reap what we sow!

Father, I had to learn the hard way that Your ways are best. If it were not for Your mercy, grace and for the provision of the cross, there would have been no hope! Indeed You rescued me out of a desolate pit, most of it of my own making! It has not been easy Lord, your salvation is free, but getting free, coming into the abundant life you promised, cost everything I am and have. It’s all about absolute surrender and obedience ( Luke 9:23). But I thank you Lord, that in You all things are possible. Thank You for my increasing freedom as I progressed from one degree of glory to another (2 Corinthians 3:18). And I praise and thank, and glorify You again this morning Lord, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment