Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Where are you Adam (Genesis 3:9)?

Because of their sin, Adam and Eve had hidden themselves from the Lord. Pretty silly really, because “nothing is hidden from the eyes of him with whom we have to do” (Hebrews 4:13). You might even think that God’s question is silly too, but from where I am sitting this morning, I can hear the angst, the longing and the love in that call. And part of the reason I can see this, is that I have experienced the pain of broken relationships and separation from those I love. And I’m sure you have too!

We will shortly we talking about the measures that God would take in response to Adam and Eve’s sin. And I am sure that the Lord knew that He would be misunderstood in this. It’s not exactly the same, because I’m not God, but I understand this at least in part, because I have had to distance myself from people who were not safe, and in doing so, I have been massively misunderstood. Perhaps you have too. But I do know for sure, from speaking to people, that many see the God of the Old Testament as a punitive, unloving God. But Jesus tells us “if you have seen me, you have seen the Father” (John 14:9), and indeed those who see Him in any other way have massively misunderstood Him! Perhaps this is you this morning?

As we saw last day, sin separates us from each other and from God. In order to be reconciled with each other, each of us needs to take responsibility for his or her part in what went wrong. But in terms of separation from God, He is never at fault. Nevertheless at incredible cost to Himself, He went the second mile and beyond in taking the initiative and providing the way by which we could be reconciled to Him. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). Nevertheless, unless we take responsibility for our sin, turn to Him in repentance and turn from our sin, we will remain unreconciled.

Father, in order to be reconciled with each other, we do need to take responsibility for our part in what went wrong, and we need to confess to each other and asked for forgiveness. And this is hard Lord, because it’s so much easier to see the other person’s faults than it is to see our own. And this is compounded by our often willingness to be blind to these faults (Jeremiah 17:9), but also because of pride, stubbornness and a reluctance to admit it when we are wrong. We may need to hear or speak the truth, remembering that we need to speak in love. It is not easy Lord, we need your help Father, I do. And our reconciliation with each other works best, when we are first and foremost fully reconciled to You, and seeking to walk Your paths. For Your part, You are more than ready, willing and able to receive us back into the extravagant healing love of Your embrace. So I surrender again this morning Lord. Search my heart and see if there be any wicked way within me and lead me in the everlasting way (Psalm 139:24). And I will give you all the honour and glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment