Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses let us …

In a conversation with someone who makes no claim to be a Christian we were discussing miracles. “If they occurred today” he was saying, “we would hear about them.” My response was that well we do hear about them, but we don’t believe. It is certainly true that there are fakes out there, and we should not be naive, but there are certainly authentic miracles out there too. I know that because I have received a number of miraculous healings myself in my own body, and I have seen many others within the circles in which I move.

In addition to this, and no less miraculous in my view, are the heart healings I observe in those who are willing to deal with their issues (and we all have issues) in a Christ centred way. Jesus told us that He came to heal the broken hearted and I personal know several people who were sexually abused as children but who now live lives that are no longer impacted by that abuse.

The above partial quote from Hebrews 12:1 goes on to tell us to “let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..” The witnesses referred to in this verse are of the heroes of the faith in Hebrews 11 (the whole chapter), but to a greater or lesser extent, we also have the witness of the faithful in Christ in the present. There is no condemnation here (Romans 8:1), but we are being exhorted to let the reality of the Christ behind these witnesses together with others we know, to let it sink in, and so to motive us to endure and persevere.

Lord I have needed to repent of not allowing the reality of You work in the lives of others to sink in. Thank You Lord that when I do my part, You more than make up what is lacking in me. I need Your help Lord to even do my part. Thank You for Your amazing grace, love and encouragement in it all. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment