Saturday, May 4, 2019

Was saved, am being saved, will be saved (II) I am being saved

As I started to write this post, my first thoughts were about how much of a struggle most people in the circles I move in, find the Christian life. And was ready to write about that when the Lord arrested me, telling me that the Christian life is not supposed to be like that, and in fact there is no need for it to be. The verse “My yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:30) came to mind. How can this be? I know that I lived in Romans 7 for years, and I would be lying if I said that I did not slip back there, but I am learning not to. Romans 7? You know “I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway” (verse 19). Paul describes this as “this body of death,” and tells us that Jesus delivers us from it (verses 24, 25). So back to Matthew, Jesus tells us “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me” (verse 29). But what does this mean, and how is it easy? Well first of all, it is something we need to learn, and to learn from Him. But what does this look like?

Well first of all Jesus was never flustered or stressed or too busy. It’s not that He was never tempted (Hebrews 4:15), nor never got angry (John 2:13 -16; Mark 3:5). But He was never out of control. In the cleansing of the temple, He took the time to make a whip (John 2:15). The picture of the yoke is interesting. A Yoke is what tethered two oxen together. If a young bull was tethered to an old one, the yoke could be fashioned so the young bull did most of the work. It’s a bit like if an adult tries to keep a door closed by pushing on it near the hinge, a child can open the door using the nob even though the adult is stronger. Try it! What I am saying is that when we are tethered to Jesus He takes the lions share of the burden and the struggle. We still have to do our part. If the old bull did not do his part, the plough would simply go round in circles.

Perhaps another picture is helpful. Paul tells us that “God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:6). So again, what does this mean? Well, part of it is that we need to operate out of the perspective of heaven where there are no problems! What I am saying is that Jesus saw and used every negative thing as an opportunity to bring heaven’s perspective, and at times to bring heaven down to earth. So in every difficulty we (me too) need to understand that we are yoked and seated with Jesus, and that He knows how to think about these things, and how to act in that situation. We need to “see” what He is saying and doing and do that. This is what Jesus did “I do only what I see my Father do” (John 5:19). And He wants to teach us to do the same!

Father, this wisdom from above is so contrary to the way that we have been taught to think and act. It has been drummed into us over an over. So Lord please interrupt us over and over, like You did with me this morning. Be with us as we seek to practice taking Your yoke upon us. And Lord this morning please be for us wisdom and strength. And please love this wicked and hurting World through us Lord, And as always we will give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment